What will Cameron do to rig the EU referendum?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
wineanddine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Will anyone in the EU be invited to vote in it?
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Idk if I'm understanding your point...

Are you asking if other countries should have the decision to keep England in or kick them out???
gordonbennetton
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm voting stay in because UK needs to take a fair share of asylum seekers rather than leaving everyone to shoulder the burden.
Genocidal
Badges: 19
Report 6 years ago
Troll much?

The EU have no say in this just as the English had no say in whether Scotland stayed in the union.
wineanddine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by gordonbennetton)
I'm voting stay in because UK needs to take a fair share of asylum seekers rather than leaving everyone to shoulder the burden.
What asylum seekers? They are not asylum seekers, they are economic migrants.
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
he will let eu residents in the to vote which will make it unfair
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by wineanddine)
Will anyone in the EU be invited to vote in it?
You can either do it by residency in which case the Europeans here already get the vote or you can do it by birth in which case the Brits in Europe get the vote.

Pick one.
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Actually (unless I am out of date) Brits abroad can, in some cases, vote in the UK elections AND EU citizens resident in the UK can also vote?
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sdotd)
he will let eu residents in the to vote which will make it unfair
Why? They pay taxes here, they have a right to take part. The Scots allowed English people living in Scotland to vote in the independence referendum.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are two separate (realistic) franchises you can use--

1. The UK Parliament franchise: Resident British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens, including British citizens overseas who were resident in the UK within the last 14 years.

2. The local government franchise: Used for elections to local authorities, the devolved assemblies and for the recent referendum in Scotland. This includes resident British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens - and resident European citizens too. It excludes British overseas voters.

Both are legitimate, I suppose. Option 2 would probably favour a vote to stay in though.
LibertyMan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
>OP thinks more than 20 raging hillbillies will vote to leave Europe
plasmaman
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gordonbennetton)
Of all the many reasons to vote to stay in the EU, this isn't one of them. Why is it our responsibility?
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LibertyMan)
>OP thinks more than 20 raging hillbillies will vote to leave Europe
The worrying part is people actually might.
SeaPony
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If the fake Conservative even gives a referendum not just a manufactured smoke screen of renegotiation used as an excuse not to give one then the referendum will be rigged from the start... the media will do that.
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SeaPony)
If the fake Conservative even gives a referendum not just a manufactured smoke screen of renegotiation used as an excuse not to give one then the referendum will be rigged from the start... the media will do that.
You mean the pro-EU media like the Telegraph, the Sun, and the Mail, the pro-EU media that constantly demands a referendum, that pro-EU media that publishes all sorts of scare stories about the horrible stuff the EU is doing to Britain?

That media?
animus01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is quite alot going for there to be a referendum, comments I've made in the referendum topic which I aim not to repeat, but the fact that 50/73 MEPs we voted for represent the UK in the European Parliament seeking reform/exist but ultimately a referendum, another being the businesses that petitioned all parties to offer an in/out referendum and the point gladders makes with the media promoting a referendum. I am in total agreement with one of the questions in the Question Time debate asked to Ed Miliband, for 'what about our view' or words to that effect, that the public's view is not good enough.

Any rigging of a referendum or absence of a referendum will have a severe impact on Conservatives who do not deliver on this pledge, just like Nick Clegg on tuition fees, so David Cameron would be treading on very thin ice in this matter, being more serious being one of the two major parties.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads