The Student Room Group

Choosing your A-levels? Your questions answered here! MKII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chickennuggt
Hi thought I would drop in some tips if anyone is struggling with choosing courses.
Aside from choosing subjects that are necessary for your university course (medicine requires sciences etc) it is important to pick a subject that you enjoy as you are likely to persevere with it when it gets difficult.
Moreover, if there is a subject you are pretty good and then it would be a good idea to take that as you should get decent grades in it.

I would also suggest asking people ,who are currently studying the subjects you are thinking of choosing, questions and opinions about the course. This allows you to get a sense of what the subject is really about and they are likely to give you opinions that you would not hear from your teachers.

Gaining information about the course beforehand is a must because the difference between GCSE and A Level is pretty massive so its best not to judge it just based on past experiences.
For example, I took Biology A Level because I did well in my Biology GCSE and so I thought it wouldn't be a very different experience but I was very wrong as my GCSE Biology knowledge did not benefit me in the slightest.
For my AS/A Levels I took English Literature, History, Psychology and Biology, so if anyone has any questions about these subjects then don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Hi can I have your thoughts on psychology, I'm thinking about doing it for A level because I find it super interesting and I feel like I'd be really motivated to study. However, I've heard it's super hard work, and also I'm not bothered I pursueing it further (in uni or a career). Also can I ask of biology is worth it, because again I'm interested and it is very prestigious, but now even though I'm getting very high grades I don't want a levels to be too stressful, so is both bio and psych stressful subjects?
(edited 7 years ago)
What do universities think of Maths + Further Maths + Physics when you are applying to Maths/Physics/Engineering. Should you take up a 4th A-Level or are these three enough?
I will be doing German and French for a level. And I also happen to be Russian. Lived in the U.K. all my life but speak Russian quite fluently. Only just able to read and write it. Never done Russian lessons. Do I go for it for a level as it is a choice I have. I would like to but is it sensible?
Original post by JammieDodger27
What do universities think of Maths + Further Maths + Physics when you are applying to Maths/Physics/Engineering. Should you take up a 4th A-Level or are these three enough?

Those three are enough. Loads of people here at Cambridge Maths have only M/FM/Physics, it'll be the same for most places. Maths is a very specialized subject and nothing beyond M/FM is useful for it. NatSci's generally tend to fare better with four A-Levels, so if you want to do Physics, it might be a good idea to pick up Chemistry but it's not essential. For Engineering, you'll be fine with only those three as well, although I will admit to not having an indepth knowledge of Engineering requirements.
I have not studied Spanish and French earlier and i want to choose either of these as one of my subjects in the Sixth Form.
I would like to know if it is a good idea and if i would be able to cope up. Also it would be great if you could mention the career options available with these languages and the career options after doing psychology.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 325
So, as it stands, I am set to do three A-levels starting next year;

- English Literature
- History
- Geography

However, at my most recent interview with the college, I have been offered the chance to do four A-levels.

I am considering taking English Language as well as the three courses stated above, but I have a few questions:

- How much more of a burden is taking four A-levels instead of three?
- Does taking four A-levels over three make much of a difference to future plans?

If it is of any relevance, these are my mock GCSE results:

- English Lit: 9
- English Lang: 8
- Maths: 7
- Physics: A*
- Chemistry: A*
- Biology: A*
- History: A*
- Geography: A*
- IT: A*
- RS: A*
Original post by Kshamagudkax
Hi i wanted to take biology, geography and psychology for A level. Is that a good combination? Any advice on these subjects?

I know quite a few people who take this combination and it sounds like a good combination. I take biology and it's a very big step up with exam technique and content so I would say make sure you're getting an A or A* to take it at A Level. Also, re-read notes after lessons and make flashcards on key points to stay on top of things. Good luck!
Original post by libby1158
I'm in year 11 and not sure what to pick as my 4th A-Level option, the three that I definitely want to do is Philosophy and Ethics, History and Psychology. I think i want to go into law but im not entirely sure so I'm just trying to pick quite general options so I can go into something else if I change my mind. The GCSE options i'm currently taking are food, french, philosophy, history and health and social where I'm predicted A* in everything. People have told me to take English to but I don't really see that as an option for me as I hate it and i like maths I just find it really difficult. Do you have any sugestions of what I could take as my 4th option?

DO NOT take English Lit if you hate it. To be honest most people I know hate it and the workload is insane. A few people love it but they're people that find it easy (ish) and loved it before. Definitely don't take it if you don't love it. History and philosophy are really good for law already so I would say take a subject you enjoy and are good at. Failing that, look at specimen papers online for courses to see what exam you will have to face! It helped me to do that :smile:
Anyone who is doing AQA Religious Studies? I found OCR Eng Literature is hard to get A/A*.
Hi,
So I'm in year 11 currently and until very recently was very sure on what I was going to take for A Levels next year: History, Economics and Politics (our school is scrapping the 4th AS and instead, we will do an EPQ).

At university I would like to study International Relations, which will hopefully set me on the path to becoming a diplomat or something similar. However, knowing a foreign language is highly regarded in this field and I am worried that not taking one at A Level will seriously hinder my future prospects.

I am doing German for GCSE and I love it, but I have heard the jump from GCSE to A level MFL is significant and I am unsure as to how skilled and fluent I am, in order to get a good grade (A-A*).

I have considered replacing Economics with German, but my dream university is LSE, who greatly value either economics or maths experience for all applicants. I also feel Economics will help me in understanding my other subjects, my future university course and also of course the world around us in general, where money is very important. It also shows my maths skills, which, since I'm predicted a 9 at GCSE, I don't want to lose.

History is a strong facilitating subject & politics is very relevant to what I want to do and I am really looking forward to study it, therefore I am reluctant to give up either of these subjects.

Which leaves me with some unanswered questions...
How important is it to have a foreign language qualification for International Relations?
Should I do German A Level?
If so, what do I swap it with?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
So sorry this is so long :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UncreativeName1
Hi,
So I'm in year 11 currently and until very recently was very sure on what I was going to take for A Levels next year: History, Economics and Politics (our school is scrapping the 4th AS and instead, we will do an EPQ).

At university I would like to study International Relations, which will hopefully set me on the path to becoming a diplomat or something similar. However, knowing a foreign language is highly regarded in this field and I am worried that not taking one at A Level will seriously hinder my future prospects.

I am doing German for GCSE and I love it, but I have heard the jump from GCSE to A level MFL is significant and I am unsure as to how skilled and fluent I am, in order to get a good grade (A-A*).

I have considered replacing Economics with German, but my dream university is LSE, who greatly value either economics or maths experience for all applicants. I also feel Economics will help me in understanding my other subjects, my future university course and also of course the world around us in general, where money is very important. It also shows my maths skills, which, since I'm predicted a 9 at GCSE, I don't want to lose.

History is a strong facilitating subject & politics is very relevant to what I want to do and I am really looking forward to study it, therefore I am reluctant to give up either of these subjects.

How important is it to have a foreign language qualification for International Relations?
Thanks

Make sure you take maths if you wanna do economics at uni. I think lse require further maths too tbh although most unis don't
Original post by UncreativeName1
Hi,

Thanks

The jump from GCSE to A-Level is no greater than any other subject, languages are nice to study as you can't really cram, you just participate in the lessons fully and do the homework and you absorb it like a sponge. If it helps, I got an A in French GCSE, and in A-Level. French was my highest mark yet took the least revision, by the end you either speak French or you don't, not like History or Business where you have a tonne of annoying dates and theories to try and memorize the night before!

Languages are really valued by Universities as well as employers later on. They're a strong A-Level to have and will really set you apart from other candidates.

I'd think long and hard about History and Politics. I did both of them at A-Level too (along with French and Business Studies) and really didn't enjoy them as much as I thought. Politics is also considered a pretty 'soft/fluffy' option by most people, it's not a traditional A-Level subject. It would be far better to try and stick to a 'core' subject like Maths or a Science if possible, they're much more highly regarded.

My advice? Do History and German, consider doing Economics and/or Maths too. That would be a pretty solid and tasty looking application, and you'd learn an awful lot more useful skills than you would in Politics IMHO.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

I'm planning on doing Geography A-Level next year. What does everyone think of the subject, is the course good, etc. ? I'm a bit worried as I haven't done the GCSE and apparently it's REALLY boring.
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you haven't done it in gcse you won't enjoy it is the same with history
Reply 334
Im thinking about taking maths, biology and psychology.
1. I want to do economics, but feel that biology will help me with psychology if i do in fact choose it as a degree to study later.
2. Will biology actually help me much with psychology?
3. Do I really even need to consider economics, seeing as though an a level economics isnt needed for the degree?
4. What other a levels could I consider? Im not 100% sure what I want to do after college so just want to keep options open.
Thanks
Hey I'm stuck between history, psychology, geography and business. I am definitely doing geography and german and want to do 4 A-levels. I want to do a business and modern langauge degree, what do you think I should choose?
Original post by Eri4137
Hey I'm stuck between history, psychology, geography and business. I am definitely doing geography and german and want to do 4 A-levels. I want to do a business and modern langauge degree, what do you think I should choose?

I would almost definitely go for history as one of those four, because language degrees often include a lot of historical study, and taking business sounds good, since your other subjects relate less to a business degree, even though business is considered to be a 'soft' subject, it's still worth doing since it's related to your field.
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
I would almost definitely go for history as one of those four, because language degrees often include a lot of historical study, and taking business sounds good, since your other subjects relate less to a business degree, even though business is considered to be a 'soft' subject, it's still worth doing since it's related to your field.

Thanks you!! Helped a lot
Original post by Manny_khalae
Is doing Physics a good idea for a Biotech degree? Even if I didn't particularly like it? Although I could cope...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally, wouldn't recommend doing applied maths at any level. do drama, art and theatre instead if you want a biotech degree to Cambridge and Oxford, have learnt this the hard way from applying for a biotech and through personal experience, they also wanted BTEC health and social care level 2.5 but I couldn't handle the stress of 4 A levels, so couldn't take that as well. Physics is too easy, not even a science at all, just maths for people who are too stupid to do that or drama. Hope I could be of help :smile:
Original post by Chowd
Im thinking about taking maths, biology and psychology.
1. I want to do economics, but feel that biology will help me with psychology if i do in fact choose it as a degree to study later.
2. Will biology actually help me much with psychology?
3. Do I really even need to consider economics, seeing as though an a level economics isnt needed for the degree?
4. What other a levels could I consider? Im not 100% sure what I want to do after college so just want to keep options open.
Thanks

If I were you, if I'd taken Phycology, I'd drop out now and just work in Mcdonalds.

Quick Reply

Latest