GCSE Chemistry

Watch this thread
kagawa88
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Air is a mixture of gases and contains various pollutants . The gases are useful and can be seperated by fractional distillation of liquid air . The table gives information about some of the gases in air
to seperate these gases :
the air is filtered
water is removed first
carbon dioixde is then removed by absorption
the gases remaining are compressed and cooled to -200°C
Water vapour and carbon dioxide are removed before the gases are compressed and cooled.Use the information in the table to suggest why.

I know the answer that at -200 degrees C they are solid and block pipes. But I do not understand why. It says the melting point of Water vapour is 0 and -78.5 for carbon dioxide so surely they are liquid. If you cooled beyond this temperature they are solid?
shwansalah
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kagawa88)
Air is a mixture of gases and contains various pollutants . The gases are useful and can be seperated by fractional distillation of liquid air . The table gives information about some of the gases in air
to seperate these gases :
the air is filtered
water is removed first
carbon dioixde is then removed by absorption
the gases remaining are compressed and cooled to -200°C
Water vapour and carbon dioxide are removed before the gases are compressed and cooled.Use the information in the table to suggest why.

I know the answer that at -200 degrees C they are solid and block pipes. But I do not understand why. It says the melting point of Water vapour is 0 and -78.5 for carbon dioxide so surely they are liquid. If you cooled beyond this temperature they are solid?
melting point of water vapour is 0 therefore any number lower than 0 would make it a solid. Carbon dioxide's melting point is -78.5 therefore any temperature lower than that, it is a solid and will freeze. If the water was heated above 0 degrees it would be a liquid. but if it is cooled below 0 degrees, e.g -200,l it would be a solid because 0 degrees is when it starts to become a liquid because that is its MELTING POINT.
username1530463
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Is this AQA?
kagawa88
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Yes AQA and thank youshwansalah
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (29)
69.05%
No (9)
21.43%
I didn't use it to prepare (4)
9.52%

Watched Threads