The Student Room Group

National 5 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BeatricePrior
I said it was dimmer and the work done one I got A- 0J

Oh ok was it dimmer because it had less resistance?
Original post by kmuffin
For the work done question I got 250000, but I wasn't sure if it was that or 125000.

Yeah, I got 250000 too, wasn't sure between that or 125000, kept changing my answer!
which one was dimmer?
:redface:
I thought the one with the resistor was dimmer...
Original post by Adriano1499
which one was dimmer?
Original post by someguy01
Oh ok was it dimmer because it had less resistance?

I said because it's connected in parallel so the voltage isn't the same across? But I was really unsure so I rambled on. Lol
which one was dimmer?

I thought the one not with a resistor..
I said because it's connected in parallel so the voltage isn't the same across? But I was really unsure so I rambled on. Lol

Lol, yeah. I felt there were far too many explain and justify question!
The frustration is real!
Lol, yeah. I felt there were far too many explain and justify question!
The frustration is real!

I know right! They were like open ended questions but without the "using your knowledge of physics"
I know right! They were like open ended questions but without the "using your knowledge of physics"

Yeah, really annoying...
But I think ive done well enough to get an A! Time to focus on computing for tomorrow!
I thought the one with the resistor was dimmer...

The current of the bulbs was 0,5 A, it's the same at all points in the circuit, but it divides over the bulb M and the resistor. Don't forget that the bulb has an internal resistance as well! But assuming that the bulb L and M is 0,5A. Then using the formula P=I2R: P=0,025 x R (Let's assume the resistor was 100Ω for talking sake)
P=0,025 x 100=2,5W
But just looking at the formula, the higher resistance means higher power, and higher power means that the bulb is brighter. So I'm not really sure about that question ;C
Yeah, really annoying...
But I think ive done well enough to get an A! Time to focus on computing for tomorrow!

Good luck!, my next one is English woohoo!
I found the paper really difficult like harder than the specimen and last years. For the question with the 3 graphs and you had to say which one for the LED, what did yous say? I think I said Z and for question 1 about the bulb, I wrote it wouldn't change because they were identical bulbs.. From reading the answers here I'm guessing that's wrong??
The current of the bulbs was 0,5 A, it's the same at all points in the circuit, but it divides over the bulb M and the resistor. Don't forget that the bulb has an internal resistance as well! But assuming that the bulb L and M is 0,5A. Then using the formula P=I2R: P=0,025 x R (Let's assume the resistor was 100Ω for talking sake)
P=0,025 x 100=2,5W
But just looking at the formula, the higher resistance means higher power, and higher power means that the bulb is brighter. So I'm not really sure about that question ;C

Yeah, but the current splits in the parallel portion of the circuit. If the current splits, then surely the voltage over the parallel portion is less than that of the series portion, due to the split current? Does voltage even have any relevance in the brightness? Idek what im going on about right now.
Original post by pinksmartie1
I found the paper really difficult like harder than the specimen and last years. For the question with the 3 graphs and you had to say which one for the LED, what did yous say? I think I said Z and for question 1 about the bulb, I wrote it wouldn't change because they were identical bulbs.. From reading the answers here I'm guessing that's wrong??

the first graph was the LED one, since the diode allows the current to flow only in one direction. therefore there would be no current if the voltage would be negative ;D
Original post by pinksmartie1

For the LED one I put Z as well, but I realised that was wrong afterwards. The LED needs to be polarised in a certain way, meaning that it would not work in a negative polarisation thus no current or voltage. So it should have been Graph X...

As for the bulbs one theres a lot of discrepancy over the answer, so yours could equally be right. We'll have to wait and see!
Yeah, but the current splits in the parallel portion of the circuit. If the current splits, then surely the voltage over the parallel portion is less than that of the series portion, due to the split current? Does voltage even have any relevance in the brightness? Idek what im going on about right now.

Power has relevance to the brightness, but since voltage, current and resistance have relevance to power, then everything have relevance to the brightness :s-smilie:
the first graph was the LED one, since the diode allows the current to flow only in one direction. therefore there would be no current if the voltage would be negative ;D

I said the second one...
Anyone here knows how long we would have to wait for the official SQA answers?
Thanks, good luck for the rest of your exams! The biology exam is the day before English so another double grouped exam to study for:frown: Hoping the English exam will be easy! At least the close reading hopefully.
Good luck!, my next one is English woohoo!
Power has relevance to the brightness, but since voltage, current and resistance have relevance to power, then everything have relevance to the brightness :s-smilie:

Ugh that question was confusing. Hopefully some higher person stumbles on this and answers our questions!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending