The Student Room Group

Fp1 help

Hi, has anyone done AQA FP1 Maths this year?
Yes.
Do you think you can help me with these questions?

Original post by charlottegreets

You need to express the terms or r in the formulae for r/r^2/r^3.

To simplify, look for what each part of the expression has that you can factorise out.
What does that mean? I'm Spanish and finding the English for these questions very hard..

For 3, we can write:

r=1nr4(r1)4=4r=1nr36r=1nr2+4r=1nrr=1n1\sum_{r=1}^n r^4-(r-1)^4 = 4\sum_{r=1}^n r^3 - 6\sum_{r=1}^n r^2 + 4\sum_{r=1}^n r - \sum_{r=1}^n 1.

Try writing out the first few terms of the sum on the LHS, and see if you notice anything happening. Then it's just a bit of annoying algebraic manipulation as you rearrange the equation to find r=1nr3\sum_{r=1}^n r^3
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by brittanna
For 3, we can write:

r=0nr4(r1)4=4r=0nr36r=0nr2+4r=0nrr=0n1\sum_{r=0}^n r^4-(r-1)^4 = 4\sum_{r=0}^n r^3 - 6\sum_{r=0}^n r^2 + 4\sum_{r=0}^n r - \sum_{r=0}^n 1.

Try writing out the first few terms of the sum on the LHS, and see if you notice anything happening. Then it's just a bit of annoying algebraic manipulation as you rearrange the equation to find r=0nr3\sum_{r=0}^n r^3

This guy basically^
OK, thanks! And the other two?
OK, thanks! And the other two?

Question 4 has a similar idea to question 3, but with slightly less to do as you don't need to evaluate the telescoping sum

We can write:

r=1n2r(r+1)=r=1n2r2+2r=2r=1nr2+2r=1nr\sum_{r=1}^n 2r(r+1) = \sum_{r=1}^n 2r^2+2r = 2\sum_{r=1}^n r^2 + 2\sum_{r=1}^n r.

You can then just substitute in the expressions for these sums which you should know.

Similar for (b).

Have you covered the Newton-Raphson method before?
(edited 8 years ago)
but i don't have a value for 'n'
but i don't have a value for 'n'

Write it in terms of n
ok. yeah, i have covered the newton raphson before but i don't know how to combine it with trig
ok. yeah, i have covered the newton raphson before but i don't know how to combine it with trig

You can use f(x)=x2sin(x)=0.f(x) = x^2-\sin(x)=0.

Do you know how to differentiate trig functions?
no...
Original post by brittanna
You can use f(x)=x2sin(x)=0.f(x) = x^2-\sin(x)=0.

Do you know how to differentiate trig functions?

It isn't taught on aqa fp1

Quick Reply

Latest