The Student Room Group

What is a 'mickey mouse degree'

Before joining TSR, I didn't know this phrase even existed, let alone what it actually means.
Who decides what this kind of degree is? Does it mean that these degrees are worthless or easier than 'better' degrees? Is there even such a thing as a 'worthless, mickey mouse' degree?

I'm confused. If anyone would like to enlighten me on this weird TSR phrase I would greatly appreciate it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mickey Mouse.

De jure definition: "A term used to refer to a degree with little to no academic rigor, or no social or economic utility."

De facto definition on TSR: "A term used to refer to a degree which is not in a STEM discipline or which comes from a university below, when TSR feels particularly generous since it may be less than half of this number, 50 on the CUG league tables."
(edited 8 years ago)
Another thing that isn't STEM, Law or Economics, by TSR standard.
Original post by stemmery
Before joining TSR, I didn't know this phrase even existed, let alone what it actually means.
Who decides what this kind of degree is? Does it mean that these degrees are worthless or easier than 'better' degrees? Is there even such a thing as a 'worthless, mickey mouse' degree?

I'm confused. If anyone would like to enlighten me on this weird TSR phrase I would greatly appreciate it.

X = The name of a person that you dislike

A mickey mouse degree is the degree that X is doing.
Reply 4
American Studies.
Reply 5
So basically it's a way to put people down to make yourself feel better? Right right. I keep forgetting this is the STUDENT room. Year 7 students right? :laugh:
Mickey Mouse (M&M) is a new course dedicated to the study of disney characters, which allows students to study courses from the Department of Disney along with related courses from other faculties (including DreamWorks, Pixar and Warner Bros.)

M&M offers broad training that is as innovative as it is rigorous and permits students to pursue a fine selection of career options.
Reply 7
Original post by happysmile
Mickey Mouse (M&M) is a new course dedicated to the study of disney characters, which allows students to study courses from the Department of Disney along with related courses from other faculties (including DreamWorks, Pixar and Warner Bros.)

M&M offers broad training that is as innovative as it is rigorous and permits students to pursue a fine selection of career options.

hahaha i was just thinking of writing something like this :P you beat me to it
Reply 8
Let us be honest, there is zero point in over half of the degrees at university. You're paying £27,000 to just do a degree that hardly helps you.
Original post by vikrmmn
Let us be honest, there is zero point in over half of the degrees at university. You're paying £27,000 to just do a degree that hardly helps you.

Almost all degrees set you off on a career path - that's what people do degrees for- a career.
Reply 10
Original post by Paladian
Almost all degrees set you off on a career path - that's what you pay so much money for.

Gaining a minuscule advantage, that doesn't really help you much for £27k plus all the added expenses is near pointless.
Generally speaking, a Mickey Mouse degree is one where you will spend more money actually studying it than you will ever earn as a direct result of studying it.
Original post by vikrmmn
Gaining a minuscule advantage, that doesn't really help you much for £27k plus all the added expenses is near pointless.

No I don't agree I think it gives you a huge advantage in the long run.
Mickey Mouse is sometimes used on this site to inflate the egos of some people who are doing stem (sorry peeps, I said some:tongue:). One subject that springs to mind when hearing Mickey Mouse is the well-known David Beckham studies at X uni. It basically means a degree that is useless; doesn't get you anywhere really. You didn't really need to "waste" X amount of money when you could have just done an apprentice or gotten a job. Hence "Mickey Mouse" = fantasy. Living in a dream world. :smile: xx
There's only a few real mickey mouse degrees. I admit they do exist but the term is used far too broadly on here.
Original post by Paladian
There's only a few real mickey mouse degrees. I admit they do exist but the term is used far too broadly on here.

What would you say those degrees are?
Original post by NeverTooLatte
x

My ego doesn't need inflating. I know I am (and will be) superior to anyone not on my academic level.
investment banking :colondollar:
Reply 18
Original post by FingerBlaster
investment banking :colondollar:

Because you can get a degree in IB (!)
Reply 19
"I sweated over calculus, quadratic equations & statistics and have virtually never used them since graduating, (computers do it all) whereas people doing "media studies", celebrityism (I remember a degree in Madonna), would actually be of more use in understanding society and indeed career prospects.
I forsee a time when you can buy MS Accountant that does everything the pricey person does."
(source)

Quick Reply

Latest