The Student Room Group

Demotivated student asks your opinion about the transfer situation. From US to UK.

Hello everybody,

Currently I am studying Biology at Quinnipiac University. I have decided to transfer to a UK University since I got A LOT of discrimination in terms of getting a job or an internship in the US. Not only that I have never really wanted to go to study in the US as much in the UK. I can no longer sustain myself economically at least for the everyday living. I hold an EU passport. Long story short, I have never met the IB criteria posted by the universities back in High School to be accepted to their programs of my interest. Now I am sophomore student and my last semester in the university is approaching very soon. With a GPA 3.62 (49 credit hours) I applied to transfer to the following universities:

University of Aberdeen
University of Kent
University of Bangor
University of Dundee
University of Glasgow

So far I got a rejection from the University of Glasgow. Though I got a conditional offer from the University of Kent stating this:

"This offer is subject to you obtaining Complete Spring Semester at Quinnipiac University and achieve an overall cumulative GPA of 3.3 for the four semesters (Fall 2013 to Spring 2015)."

I really want to ask the people with similar experience. Since then I am living a very stressful experience because I got rejected from all my 5 UK choices in the High School Days. Conditional acceptance, rejections everywhere. Today it feels this story repeats itself and I don't really want to live it again for the second time. In case I got 3.2 GPA for instance and/or either fail one of my courses in the semester how screwed am I? This year I got the most useless classes without learning any Biology-related knowledge (another reason that I am leaving USA), including American History, University Seminars, Psychology etc...

Will Kent in particular reject my application? How will I improve my application for the next year since I will not attend any university courses anymore? I am feeling like I am failure or something while my other classmates have been accepted to universities of their choice and going to graduate in a year or two with me being the drop-out kid.

Remember that I have applied to start from the Year one because transferring credits with my current transcript is not possible. You know in the 4-year universities in US you have to take unrelated subjects to your major.

Thank you everyone.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey man, I'm not in an identical situation, being from the UK. However, I am "dropping out" of 1 course and deciding on another also. What immediately stands out to me, is with your good GPA score, are you sure that those universities are of a good standard? I guess one indication is that they demand you get a 3.2, when you have a 3.62.

In the UK, with personal statements, they just want to see a clear interest in the subject. Don't spare any details, with books or courses that you've looked at or studied. Put effort that your personal statement is coherent, and well-written.

Your choices also vary in the city that they're based; the day-to-day life, at uni, is a big factor in how happy you'll be. On how you feel, when changing course, I am of the same mind, I want to get through university with the all important skills and qualifications, to make a good living thereafter. But have basically wasted this year and a lot of money, all I can say is be positive and remind yourself what your long term goals are, once you've got your degree.
All the best
Reply 2
Original post by thesmallerhand
Hey man, I'm not in an identical situation, being from the UK. However, I am "dropping out" of 1 course and deciding on another also. What immediately stands out to me, is with your good GPA score, are you sure that those universities are of a good standard? I guess one indication is that they demand you get a 3.2, when you have a 3.62.

In the UK, with personal statements, they just want to see a clear interest in the subject. Don't spare any details, with books or courses that you've looked at or studied. Put effort that your personal statement is coherent, and well-written.

Your choices also vary in the city that they're based; the day-to-day life, at uni, is a big factor in how happy you'll be. On how you feel, when changing course, I am of the same mind, I want to get through university with the all important skills and qualifications, to make a good living thereafter. But have basically wasted this year and a lot of money, all I can say is be positive and remind yourself what your long term goals are, once you've got your degree.
All the best

Trust me brother, I am really confident that the universities I applied are really for the courses I selected. However I deceived of the "good standards" of the university I am currently attending in the US. I have wrote a pretty solid statement in my opinion the only thing that worries is me whether I would get the required grades. Instead of getting at least 3.3 and got like 3.2 that means a automatic decline?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending