The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Reluire
Do you watch anything on the BBC? If so, that's why.

No, I don't. The one thing I used to watch was self financing and subsidised the other rubbish peddled by the BBCommies.

And even if I did, there is no reason I should be charged £70 a year when a more modern format would charge me £1 a program (depending on demand) or something like that. I'd be happy to pay £5 per episode over the year for Top Gear (around £70), but to pay £70 for the garbage the BBC peddles in general aggrieves me. The reason they have that poll tax is precisely because most of what it finances cannot self finance.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Source?

The video is up on YouTube for people to watch themselves. The only person who mentioned Doctor Who was the BBC interviewer trying to peddle the usual biased BBC nonsense.
Original post by zippity.doodah
dr who was too risky without a state-owned network? was family guy too risky for fox? :|

Well no, seeing as it was mainly a copy of the Simpsons, and they wavered on it until King of the Hill was successful.

One striking and direct effect of the profit motive on shows like Family Guy is to make it episodic, preventing significant character development, story arcs or aging, so the show can be syndicated after its original run and shown out of order. Ultimately of course, this limits the longevity of the show, not to mention the quality of the storylines.

Animated comedy is a completely different genre to Doctor Who anyway with a completely different cost base and structure.
Original post by 41b
No, I don't. The one thing I used to watch was self financing and subsidised the other rubbish peddled by the BBCommies.

And even if I did, there is no reason I should be charged £70 a year when a more modern format would charge me £1 a program (depending on demand) or something like that. I'd be happy to pay £5 per episode over the year for Top Gear (around £70), but to pay £70 for the garbage the BBC peddles in general aggrieves me. The reason they have that poll tax is precisely because most of what it finances cannot self finance.

Cancel your TV license then. Simple.
Reply 44
Original post by Reluire
Cancel your TV license then. Simple.

Why should I, though? I want to watch ITV. What does me watching ITV have to do with the BBC?

They were trying to introduce a computer tax because iPlayer watchers a while back. They're desperate to protect their tax and privileged position.

As much as they are ideologically bothersome, I would have no problem with them if they were self financing, like the Guardian or the Daily Star. The issue is that a biased institution is financed through taxation to spread what is, essentially, propaganda. This is really pecular for an otherwise largely deregulated economy.
The only policy with the potential to swing my vote. What a dreadful show, possibly the most overrated in the history of British television. I'd welcome the freeing up of prime time slots for more worthwhile stuff.
Original post by 41b

Lol yeah, knew you'd make an exception for Top Gear. Classic stuff from the right wing: use market forces and arguments to force stuff with the wrong political line under while using the same arguments to show the opposite for things you approve of.

Newsflashes for you:
- The modern TG wouldn't exist without the BBC. You really think a private company would take that sort of risk?
- Who would also be self-financing.

This is in the case of both shows an example of how true quality, profitability, innovation and market advantage can be had in the long run with state stimulus to get them through the difficult first years. I don’t believe anything like either show in terms of format, uniqueness, story, cultural impact or content would have got far in a risk-averse free market system.
Reply 47
Original post by scrotgrot
Lol yeah, knew you'd make an exception for Top Gear. Classic stuff from the right wing: use market forces and arguments to force stuff with the wrong political line under while using the same arguments to show the opposite for things you approve of.

Newsflashes for you:
- The modern TG wouldn't exist without the BBC. You really think a private company would take that sort of risk?
- Who would also be self-financing.

This is in the case of both shows an example of how true quality, profitability, innovation and market advantage can be had in the long run with state stimulus to get them through the difficult first years. I don’t believe anything like either show in terms of format, uniqueness, story, cultural impact or content would have got far in a risk-averse free market system.

Well.. I can see your point, because JC has often been politically incorrect.

But I think we can't really say based on what we know. Channel 4 does some really politically incorrect stuff. It's not clear cut.

Regardless, I'd be happy to pay individually for TG and make JC 10 times richer, provided it was done on a commercial pay per view basis and nothing went to the BBC. :biggrin:
Saw you using Daily Mail as your source and laughed.

Watch the video and laughed again.

He never agreed to Doctor Who being off the air, the interviewer suggested that?
--
I'm not even voting UKIP this election but it's absolutely hilarious how determined some of you morons are to twist every word Farage says.
Original post by 41b
Well.. I can see your point, because JC has often been politically incorrect.

But I think we can't really say based on what we know. Channel 4 does some really politically incorrect stuff. It's not clear cut.

Regardless, I'd be happy to pay individually for TG and make JC 10 times richer, provided it was done on a commercial pay per view basis and nothing went to the BBC. :biggrin:

Not just that, but the entire "three blokes and their banter" format and the stupid games and challenges. All very costly if it doesn't take off.

The thing is, if diffused on a private channel, very few people would be able to see Top Gear, and it wouldn't ever reach the tipping point it needs to reach to become a cultural phenomenon. Without the fans, a programme is nothing, no matter how much you might like its politics: I know because I've been a fan of things with barely any fan community and it quickly gets ehh. Certainly the presenters wouldn't get as much, you'd have to pay a lot more than 10x as much I would have guessed.

So I think it's quite ironic that you'd rely on the taxpayer to build up TG to the massive international success it has been and then restrict access by taking this thing people have an attachment to and whose success they paid for and putting it on a commercial channel.

But I guess artificially restricting access to things people "need" (insofar as fandom is as close as it gets to need with TV) in the name of profit is just the right wing free market way isn't it?
Original post by BioStudentx
I watched the video and it seems his words have been twisted - as per usual.
No.

Andrew Marr
What kind of things would you like the BBC stop doing?

Nigel Farage
I don't think it needs to do entertainment, for example

Dr Who isn't entertainment? It seems UKIP doesn't have a clue - as per usual.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by the bear
Dr Who is an immigrant...

I suppose he's acceptable to UKIP though - he has a doctorate. Quality migrant.
Reply 52
Original post by scrotgrot
Not just that, but the entire "three blokes and their banter" format and the stupid games and challenges. All very costly if it doesn't take off.

The thing is, if diffused on a private channel, very few people would be able to see Top Gear, and it wouldn't ever reach the tipping point it needs to reach to become a cultural phenomenon. Without the fans, a programme is nothing, no matter how much you might like its politics: I know because I've been a fan of things with barely any fan community and it quickly gets ehh. Certainly the presenters wouldn't get as much, you'd have to pay a lot more than 10x as much I would have guessed.

So I think it's quite ironic that you'd rely on the taxpayer to build up TG to the massive international success it has been and then restrict access by taking this thing people have an attachment to and whose success they paid for and putting it on a commercial channel.

But I guess artificially restricting access to things people "need" (insofar as fandom is as close as it gets to need with TV) in the name of profit is just the right wing free market way isn't it?

Again it depends. TG didn't start off like that. It was much more review based at the start. You're looking at how it ended as how it started. I've been watching a season 6 cd and it's hardly like what it became.

Look at Breaking Bad. Very risky but a private company, granted a small one, paid for it. But there've been lots of promising flops, like Arrested Development.

Ultimately what works in the free market is ratings.

http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt1628033

TG didn't start off badly and they only got better. In a private system that'd never be cancelled, but only encouraged. I suspect if TG was a private program it would've focussed less on entertaining gaffes (reliant as they were on offending the uptight BBC) and more on specials. The specials were really beautiful programs.

As for initial audience, suppose non news BBC was privatised and the number of channels remained the same. Why would TG receive any less attention? I would think it would receive more attention as it could be advertised more effectively.

However, advertising during the program would've ruined it.

So there were benefits to being in the BBC, but I think we don't need to have that kind of TV anymore. Everything can be digitalised and pay per view and we can get a genuine free market. I don't think the sky closed system is a free market, and I don't think we need a sky box. Things like Netflix or Huli could be put into the TV, or different providers could compete to provide products at the cheapest price and the individual could choose between them. Thus we can have a truly free market, where people can choose adverts or pay per view, what programs to watch and so on.

I could imagine it as some sort of small OS that is installed on TVs which allows you to connect it to your debit card and search a database of legal sellers competing to sell stuff. I could imagine Amazon participating too.

I think this would also greatly reduce piracy by giving people the ease of a cheap, one off purchase, and if piracy is successfuly reduced, it would also increase income and reward creators, pushing down individual purchase costs.

Wouldn't that be better than the obsolescent state funded tax model of the BBC?
Just watched the interview right through. Farage particularly mentions local radio and websites. He talks as if these are strangling competition, as if there is some worthy local company ready to fight each one in the regions. This is cobblers of course. Local radio and newspapers have mainly struggled because of Google and other websites taking all their trade. The local radio and news channels (and many of those commercial websites) are in turn owned by big media groups.

Now I've reviewed the interview properly, I think Farage was campaigning on behalf of the media giants he is a client of. For example, Murdoch and the Daily Mail/Rothermere groups. They hate the BBC for offering them competition and it's a convenient whipping boy for their own historic inadequacies in failing to fight off the growth of web.
Farage is just whining because his loathsome little party were rejected at the main party interview and the BBC make a few jokes about his party. The man threw his toys out of his pram and has made himself look deeply unprofessional. This stool won't be in power on May 7th. Sadly though, the stools in my constituency will probably vote in one of their goons.
Reply 55
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Just watched the interview right through. Farage particularly mentions local radio and websites. He talks as if these are strangling competition, as if there is some worthy local company ready to fight each one in the regions. This is cobblers of course. Local radio and newspapers have mainly struggled because of Google and other websites taking all their trade. The local radio and news channels (and many of those commercial websites) are in turn owned by big media groups.

Now I've reviewed the interview properly, I think Farage was campaigning on behalf of the media giants he is a client of. For example, Murdoch and the Daily Mail/Rothermere groups. They hate the BBC for offering them competition and it's a convenient whipping boy for their own historic inadequacies in failing to fight off the growth of web.

These conspiracies must be defeated, preferably by jailing all rightists and transferring their children to re-education programs, don't you think? :smile:

You should heed Observatory's advice.
Original post by André 3000
He said nothing of the sort and as you've attacked a politician in this post, as opposed to the party, you've actually libelled him. Quite frankly, you've twisted the words of the conversation to suit your agenda in the most pathetic fashion. He said 'The BBC doesn't need to do entertainment'. The only person who mentioned Doctor Who was the interviewer and Nigel Farage didn't even get drawn on the subject of specific shows.

Still a baffling statement to me...why on earth shouldn't the BBC do entertainment?
Original post by Dr Pesto
Still a baffling statement to me...why on earth shouldn't the BBC do entertainment?

I can only assume he wants the license fee scrapped and for it to use the limited funding on being more of an educational and informative channel. To be honest, I kind of agree with him. However, I wouldn't mind the BBC having other paid for channels where they provided us with quality entertainment on an opt-in basis. It's all down to personal preference at the end of the day. I prefer watching HBO and would rather give them my money as they produce much better quality stuff than the BBC. However, others will feel differently. Each to their own.
Omfg I'm so done, you just whined about media giants like the Daily Mail yet you used them as your source for this thread.

In true tumblr fashion; "I can't even".
Original post by 41b
Again it depends. TG didn't start off like that. It was much more review based at the start. You're looking at how it ended as how it started. I've been watching a season 6 cd and it's hardly like what it became.

Look at Breaking Bad. Very risky but a private company, granted a small one, paid for it. But there've been lots of promising flops, like Arrested Development.

Ultimately what works in the free market is ratings.

http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt1628033

TG didn't start off badly and they only got better. In a private system that'd never be cancelled, but only encouraged. I suspect if TG was a private program it would've focussed less on entertaining gaffes (reliant as they were on offending the uptight BBC) and more on specials. The specials were really beautiful programs.

As for initial audience, suppose non news BBC was privatised and the number of channels remained the same. Why would TG receive any less attention? I would think it would receive more attention as it could be advertised more effectively.

However, advertising during the program would've ruined it.

So there were benefits to being in the BBC, but I think we don't need to have that kind of TV anymore. Everything can be digitalised and pay per view and we can get a genuine free market. I don't think the sky closed system is a free market, and I don't think we need a sky box. Things like Netflix or Huli could be put into the TV, or different providers could compete to provide products at the cheapest price and the individual could choose between them. Thus we can have a truly free market, where people can choose adverts or pay per view, what programs to watch and so on.

I could imagine it as some sort of small OS that is installed on TVs which allows you to connect it to your debit card and search a database of legal sellers competing to sell stuff. I could imagine Amazon participating too.

I think this would also greatly reduce piracy by giving people the ease of a cheap, one off purchase, and if piracy is successfuly reduced, it would also increase income and reward creators, pushing down individual purchase costs.

Wouldn't that be better than the obsolescent state funded tax model of the BBC?

You put too much faith in the free market, your arguments are good but I don’t think we are going to get past our differences in that.

We may pay for the BBC, but the quality programming sets the bar that much higher for all the other channels, and it's not like it's as coercive a market as say energy or housing, if you really don't want to pay the licence fee you can survive without watching Tv or just using catch up. Quality would be as awful as in America otherwise and call me a snob but we wouldn't have nice BBC documentaries about history, we'd have Ancient Aliens and Nazi Megastructures.

(I also find it pretty ironic how libertarian UKIP types whine about the licence fee when it's a far less coercive market than stuff they would rather see remain dysfunctional like energy and housing!)

I usually use the same sort of argument for the NHS but on the cost side: the free competitor keeps insurance premiums down, and if you want to buy insurance you still can. As far as I'm concerned that sort of thing is actually more choice in the market and you can get the best of both worlds.

Still I don’t see the point arguing about it, I respect your point of view. There are going to be changes resembling what you are talking about when all the TV watching generation die off.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending