alunevans
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello

I am currently proceeding through the KPMG application process for the graduate tax programme. I am aware that, if successful, I would be studying for the first nine months at the KPMG Tax Business School in Docklands and that, as the intensive nature of the studies precludes commuting, one must live in London.

As a mature applicant, however, I live in my own house in Oxford. Could anyone provide information on the level of trainee salary during the first nine months (clearly, this would be quite low)? Additionally, could anyone offer an insight into their accommodation experiences while attending the Tax Business School?

Many thanks!

William A Evans
snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alunevans)
Hello

I am currently proceeding through the KPMG application process for the graduate tax programme. I am aware that, if successful, I would be studying for the first nine months at the KPMG Tax Business School in Docklands and that, as the intensive nature of the studies precludes commuting, one must live in London.

As a mature applicant, however, I live in my own house in Oxford. Could anyone provide information on the level of trainee salary during the first nine months (clearly, this would be quite low)? Additionally, could anyone offer an insight into their accommodation experiences while attending the Tax Business School?

Many thanks!

William A Evans
I imagine it's not too different from what someone in audit might get so a bit below 30K in your first year.

If your base office is Canary Wharf or some other location that's not too far off then you will probably not be given any accommodation (in the sense that a hotel room be reimbursed).
Better move to London or be prepared to spend 5h of every day on a train (and pay dearly for it).

If your base office is however somewhere outside of London, then contact HR to sort out the details.
Eien
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello

Many thanks!

William A Evans
I was at the KPMG Tax business school 3 years ago. The salary is London level, so will be £28,000 pa (maybe slightly more now due to inflation).

KPMG will not provide accommodation, so you will have to find your own in London. I do recommend this, however, particularly the second half of the programme is quite intensive, and commuting will take its toll.
alunevans
(Original post by snakesnake)
I imagine it's not too different from what someone in audit might get so a bit below 30K in your first year.

If your base office is Canary Wharf or some other location that's not too far off then you will probably not be given any accommodation (in the sense that a hotel room be reimbursed).
Better move to London or be prepared to spend 5h of every day on a train (and pay dearly for it).

If your base office is however somewhere outside of London, then contact HR to sort out the details.

Many thanks, Snakesnake,

I had expected pretty much what you've indicated. The Tax Business School is in Docklands and it's been emphasised by KPMG (and also by Eien) that commuting is not a good idea! I think some serious contemplation is now needed on my part as to whether I can actually afford to pursue this course, even if I were to be offered a training position.
alunevans
(Original post by Eien)
I was at the KPMG Tax business school 3 years ago. The salary is London level, so will be £28,000 pa (maybe slightly more now due to inflation).

KPMG will not provide accommodation, so you will have to find your own in London. I do recommend this, however, particularly the second half of the programme is quite intensive, and commuting will take its toll.

Dear Eien

Many thanks for your reply - I had anticipated that, essentially, this would be the situation. I now have to give the matter additional thought, as the expense of funding accommodation in London and maintaining my house in Oxford is likely to be prohibitive, even if I were to be offered a training position.
snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Many thanks, Snakesnake,

I had expected pretty much what you've indicated. The Tax Business School is in Docklands and it's been emphasised by KPMG (and also by Eien) that commuting is not a good idea! I think some serious contemplation is now needed on my part as to whether I can actually afford to pursue this course, even if I were to be offered a training position.
Well you could always rent a room in London, don't rule that option out.
Hedgeman49
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello

Many thanks!

William A Evans
Rent out your house in Oxford while you're in London? Obviously a simplistic view as I don't know your situation but could be a solution.
alunevans
(Original post by snakesnake)
Well you could always rent a room in London, don't rule that option out.
Yes, certainly an idea. 'Will have to check out rental costs. (BTW I wouldn't rent out my own house to defray my costs - too much hassle!)

Many thanks again!

Alun
alunevans
(Original post by Hedgeman49)
Rent out your house in Oxford while you're in London? Obviously a simplistic view as I don't know your situation but could be a solution.
Dear Hedgeman

Many thanks for your suggestion. I wouldn't rent out m own house, however. I'm afraid it would be too much hassle and a considerable worry!

Best regards

Alun
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads