The Student Room Group

Unsure of which A-Level options to choose

When I originally chose my options I chose biology, psychology, sociology and English literature. I decided I wanted to do English language instead but was told this would clash with biology. I was also thinking of doing health and social level 3 because I think I want to be a nurse or radiographer, but I wouldn't know which options to drop as it takes up two option blocks. I don't know what to do as English is one of my best subjects but I feel really interested in psychology and sociology. Any suggestions?
Biology is THE most important A Level subject for what you want to do, out of all the others.. Anyway, English Literature is more respected by universities than English Language. Do not give up Biology; you'll regret it.
I d say it depends which one you really want to go for nursing or radiography.

I m doing nursing in september and do have a biology a level, however not many unis ask specifically for a biology a level, some may say they want a science(some unis when they ask for this may consider psychology to be a science), doing health and social care level 3 would be beneficial for nursing i d say.

However, diagnostic radiography would be pretty different insist on a science, sometimes two in which case you d have to be sticking to doing biology, sociology and psychology, so english wouldnt really help your application i m afraid( also i m not too sure some unis would accept level 3 health and social care for radiography, something you d have to look into)

From what i understand although both subjects can ask for similar ucas points, radiography is incredibly strict on what they d accept, so my advice to you would be to have a really good think about which one you want to do and do plenty of research on both before you make your final a level choices. hope that helps:smile:
Original post by claireestelle
I d say it depends which one you really want to go for nursing or radiography.

I m doing nursing in september and do have a biology a level, however not many unis ask specifically for a biology a level, some may say they want a science(some unis when they ask for this may consider psychology to be a science), doing health and social care level 3 would be beneficial for nursing i d say.

However, diagnostic radiography would be pretty different insist on a science, sometimes two in which case you d have to be sticking to doing biology, sociology and psychology, so english wouldnt really help your application i m afraid( also i m not too sure some unis would accept level 3 health and social care for radiography, something you d have to look into)

From what i understand although both subjects can ask for similar ucas points, radiography is incredibly strict on what they d accept, so my advice to you would be to have a really good think about which one you want to do and do plenty of research on both before you make your final a level choices. hope that helps:smile:

+ 1 good post

To the OP, I have radiography offers and all my choices insisted on a science at BTEC or Alevel, although I am doing Applied Science as mine, I am also doing BTEC health and social care subsidiary diploma plus another Alevel.

I am told that health and social care has to include a certain amount of science modules for it to br acceptable for radiography so pick your choices wisely. Good luck.
Reply 5
Thanks for all the help :smile: is biology a level hard? And it is hard to get a distinction in health and social care? I looked on one uni and they said DDM if I want to go into radiography. I'm considering taking health and social, biology and psychology now. I hope the work isnt too bad. I've heard there's no exams for health and social care but lots of coursework
Original post by fayeb1999
Thanks for all the help :smile: is biology a level hard? And it is hard to get a distinction in health and social care? I looked on one uni and they said DDM if I want to go into radiography. I'm considering taking health and social, biology and psychology now. I hope the work isnt too bad. I've heard there's no exams for health and social care but lots of coursework

I found AS Biology really hard and I got A in core science at GCSE and A in additional science. I blobbed it with an E at AS hence me taking Applied Science (in one year)

my health and social care is a BTEC subsidiary diploma which means it is only equivalent to one ALevel and I have just had all my work back from the adjudicators and have an A*. Have to be honest I personally found health and social care easy if you keep up to the deadlines.
Do what you enjoy. The subject can be the most useful subject in the world but if you don't want to do the work or would rather be doing something else then you will struggle and your grades will suffer. Having studied at a grammar school where forms of qualification other than a levels are looked down on, I would encourage a levels. They are more versatile and if you happen to change your mind and no longer want to do nursing then you still leave yourself with lots of options. Ultimately whilst your school can and will give you advice, you should do what you want to do. If that's the level 3 then it sounds like you want to do English (and it sounds like you enjoy it and the grade is the most important thing here) and I'd drop sociology. Best of luck!
Original post by fayeb1999

I found a level biology very hard so would say only take it for the diagnostic radiotherapy option. I didnt do a btec level 3 , however if you kept up with the workload you should get a good grade:smile:
I'm currently doing A Level Biology and I would say go for it if you're predicted/achieve a high B or A grade at GCSE. It requires you to learn quite a lot of information and you will have to dedicate a lot of time to the subject.
Reply 10
I'm predicted a B for all my sciences. I think I'll put biology down and if I find it too hard I'll swap options as you are allowed to swap if you don't like it. I'm still unsure of what I would want to do in the future but I'd really like to work in healthcare or in a hospital as I feel like I would be good at doing that. Thanks for all the help I don't know who I would've asked as careers advice and school are useless :/ thanks
I wouldn't drop biology at all. Science a levels are very valuable when getting into uni, the Russell group describes them as "facilitating subjects". I personally do not find biology very hard at all. There's very little maths compared to the other two sciences (i also do those so I can give some comparisons if you needed them) and it's mostly just facts, order of events and quite a bit of common sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest