More avatars like the 'Say no to bullying' one!

Watch
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
For subs, there are lots of extra avatars we can choose from, including the 'Say no to bullying' one

I think it would be really great if there were others with a similar message to this, in a similar style that we could choose from - for example, a big topical issue is about raising mental health awareness, and so that could definitely be a theme for a couple of new avatars - one example could also be to have it say 'LGBTQ+' for anyone that wanted to do that...

There's a range of different themes which could be used for these, and it wouldn't take a massive bit of brainstorming to come up with some cool ideas, which have a great message to give to the community, and wouldn't take lots of design as they could run off a similar design to the one I've pictured here...

In particular, for mental health, there is a lot of naivety and stupidity about people not thinking it's a real thing... one example could be 'Mental illnesses are real' or 'Depression is a real illness' and stuff like that!

Anyway, comments and ideas for this would be great, as I don't like to add my own custom avatar, and I'd rather be spreading messages through this style avatar, than have the standard avatar like I did before the Tory logo!!! As of the 8th of May, I will be using the 'Say no to bullying' one, hopefully until TSR release some new ones on similar lines as I've described above!!!

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Kittiara)
QFA
Attached files
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They tend to be made for events rather than just randomly - the 'say no to bullying' ones were made for anti-bullying week, similar to how there have been ones made for the election.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can we have some for the FA Cup final?
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
They tend to be made for events rather than just randomly - the 'say no to bullying' ones were made for anti-bullying week, similar to how there have been ones made for the election.
Yup, but I don't see why they have to be only available for events... To have ones in an almost identical design to this one, would really not take that much time at all and would possibly help spread awareness of some issues...
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by TornadoGR4)
Can we have some for the FA Cup final?
Haha - I like your thinking
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think that that would be an excellent idea. Too often I see people calling others mentally ill as an insult. Or I see people with mental health problems be called mentally weak, which is definitely not the case - it takes a lot of strength to deal with a mental health problem!

On similar lines, some people call others autistic as an insult. And there's quite a bit of sexism, racism, homophobia, and a lot of ignorance about transgender issues. So, I definitely support this initiative.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
I think that that would be an excellent idea. Too often I see people calling others mentally ill as an insult. Or I see people with mental health problems be called mentally weak, which is definitely not the case - it takes a lot of strength to deal with a mental health problem!

On similar lines, some people call others autistic as an insult. And there's quite a bit of sexism, racism, homophobia, and a lot of ignorance about transgender issues. So, I definitely support this initiative.
PRSOM!
Protégé
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't see a point to this, avatars are for aesthetics. You aren't going to change anybody's opinion on something by simply having a statement in your avatar. Don't see anything wrong with it but I don't think it's worth the effort.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Yup, but I don't see why they have to be only available for events... To have ones in an almost identical design to this one, would really not take that much time at all and would possibly help spread awareness of some issues...
Well, they're not only available for events, that's just when they're more commonly made. Plus they're more effective when used alongside thread campaigns etc to raise overall awareness of issues. A few people using the avatar won't have the same effect. Mental health ones would be good though, maybe around Mental Health Awareness Week or something.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

If I had a penny for every time someone used mental illnesses as an insult. People just are too cruel and especially online where they think they can get away with it more.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No because it would make no difference whatsoever.
Snufkin
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
No because it would make no difference whatsoever.
I agree. If you want an avatar which shows that you're anti-bullying, against mental health stigma, pro-LGBT etc then great, but why can't you make it yourself? An avatar isn't going to prevent bullying or reduce stigmatisation, the only way that's going to happen is if you confront it head on and speak out against it. I would prefer TSR staff spent their time addressing real problems rather than making avatars.
André 3000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
I agree. If you want an avatar which shows that you're anti-bullying, against mental health stigma, pro-LGBT etc then great, but why can't you make it yourself? An avatar isn't going to prevent bullying or reduce stigmatisation, the only way that's going to happen is if you confront it head on and speak out against it. I would prefer TSR staff spent their time addressing real problems rather than making avatars.
Done easily enough. I've just got one from Google Images, removed the background in about 10 seconds and now have it as my avatar. If avatars stay at 100x100 pixels then it'd be fine as the text and message would be easy to read. If they return to 50x50 then the text may not be legible any more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (23)
40.35%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (5)
8.77%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (3)
5.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (14)
24.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (7)
12.28%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (5)
8.77%

Watched Threads