A warning from history

Watch
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I know Labour have said they will lower top up fees by $6000 but before we all go and choose who we ant to break promises made in their manifesto to us I was thinking I'd remind you a few of things about the last Labour government:

1) They introduced top up fees.

2) They took us to war when all other parties in the house and public opinion opposed it.

3) They took us in to a double dip recession.

4) They killed both TVR and Rover.

5) They Took the attitude lets borrow to solve our problems making out national debt much worse than it should.

6) They opened the flood gates which now means native British are almost outnumbered in our own country.

So I'll ask you do you really want more of that?
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
I know Labour have said they will lower top up fees by $6000 but before we all go and choose who we ant to break promises made in their manifesto to us I was thinking I'd remind you a few of things about the last Labour government:

Not inherently bad. Student selfish interests and political pandering to it =/= the best fiscal policy.

2) They took us to war when all other parties in the house and public opinion opposed it.

That doesn't mean it was the wrong decision. In hindsight we've seen the drawbacks to intervention, but that doesn't mean the moral case wasn't strong.

3) They took us in to a double dip recession

The Tories would have matched Labour's spending plans, creating the same deficit, but made us even more vulnerable to financial collapse by deregulating the banks even more. And it wasn't overspending, but instead the banking crisis which caused the crash.

No one can defend the 1970s Labour, but Blair has changed the Party into a completely rational one.

5) They Took the attitude lets borrow to solve our problems making out national debt much worse than it should.

It was in line with the economic consensus at the time. National finance =/= personal finance.

6) They opened the flood gates which now means native British are almost outnumbered in our own country.

We're not, but that was a mistake based on the assumption that Britain wouldn't be as popular a destination as it was.

The current Labour manifesto contains none of the above.
my response.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
my response.
(Original post by jonathanemptage)

Not inherently bad. Student selfish interests and political pandering to it =/= the best fiscal policy.

Yes and Charles Kennedy's Lib dems (not that I'll vote for them now) pledged to abolish student debt which would have made us all better off.

That doesn't mean it was the wrong decision. In hindsight we've seen the drawbacks to intervention, but that doesn't mean the moral case wasn't strong.

Yes Ripping hundreds of families apart in a war where we were in the wrong for non existent WND's based on a kids school essay is completely right what if it was your son or farther.

3) They took us in to a double dip recession

The Tories would have matched Labour's spending plans, creating the same deficit, but made us even more vulnerable to financial collapse by deregulating the banks even more. And it wasn't overspending, but instead the banking crisis which caused the crash.

They were still in power and a single dip ok but a double dip thats unexcusable

No one can defend the 1970s Labour, but Blair has changed the Party into a completely rational one.

No Blair was in power when they went out of business.

It was in line with the economic consensus at the time. National finance =/= personal finance.

Maybe so but they still did it

We're not, but that was a mistake based on the assumption that Britain wouldn't be as popular a destination as it was.

Have you walked around London lately?

The current Labour manifesto contains none of the above. Nor did the other ones but they still did it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.26%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.26%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
44.44%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
24.07%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
1.85%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.56%

Watched Threads