Draco Dormiens
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

So to make it short (ish):

- I want to go into investment banking when I graduate from university, the awe of finance is incredible to me
- I am predicted good grades for year 13 so I can apply to any university with the HOPE of getting in
- However I don't know which universities to apply to? I was thinking UCL (Economics with a year abroad), Exeter (Economics with a year abroad), Durham (Economics with a year abroad), and maybe Edinburgh and St. Andrews for economics with the hope of getting a good destination should I manage to take a year abroad (Scotland-based applicant so no fees)?

I should make it known that I do not want to go to Oxbridge. I understand it is a very good institution but I just cannot say that I feel it is for me right now; maybe postgrad if I wanted to try. I am considering LSE but the fact that I would never get to do a year abroad is something that particularly turns me off. I want to do a year abroad in the USA so as to gain contacts there and for the international experience. New York in particular. Warwick also looks like an unpleasant place to study for 3 years for me personally but if you believe you can persuade me otherwise then please try!

Ultimately: which universities should I apply to in order to hopefully gain a graduate job with one of the big American (based) investment banks such as JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, Jefferies, Lazard, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Wells Fargo? I aspire to get a job at one of them and then hopefully secure a transfer to the NY/USA branch.

Thank you!
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Draco Dormiens)
Hi,

So to make it short (ish):

- I want to go into investment banking when I graduate from university, the awe of finance is incredible to me
- I am predicted good grades for year 13 so I can apply to any university with the HOPE of getting in
- However I don't know which universities to apply to? I was thinking UCL (Economics with a year abroad), Exeter (Economics with a year abroad), Durham (Economics with a year abroad), and maybe Edinburgh and St. Andrews for economics with the hope of getting a good destination should I manage to take a year abroad (Scotland-based applicant so no fees)?

I should make it known that I do not want to go to Oxbridge. I understand it is a very good institution but I just cannot say that I feel it is for me right now; maybe postgrad if I wanted to try. I am considering LSE but the fact that I would never get to do a year abroad is something that particularly turns me off. I want to do a year abroad in the USA so as to gain contacts there and for the international experience. New York in particular. Warwick also looks like an unpleasant place to study for 3 years for me personally but if you believe you can persuade me otherwise then please try!

Ultimately: which universities should I apply to in order to hopefully gain a graduate job with one of the big American (based) investment banks such as JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, Jefferies, Lazard, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Wells Fargo? I aspire to get a job at one of them and then hopefully secure a transfer to the NY/USA branch.

Thank you!
If I'm honest, I don't actually know the answer to your question, but considering that a lot of the banks that you are talking about have big offices here, I should think that you should apply to the same universities as you would if you wanted to work in the UK. After all, that is where you plan on working to start with!
Obviously UCL is the most highly regarded university of the ones that you have suggested, and their partner universities in the states are AMAZING (in case you aren't aware UChicago and Columbia are both top top tier universities.) And because UCL is such an influential university, always trying to make links with other institutions, there is nothing saying that it wouldn't be possible that they have a link with Princeton or MIT by the time you are there!
With the Exeter course, the list of universities you could study with in the USA looked uninspiring. None of them I had heard of and the places that I had heard of (Montana and Florida) are not places you want to study. Florida is renowned for theme parks, not universities! And Montana...well I don't know what Montana is renowned for.
I think that Durham is slightly better than Exeter with rankings, but that isn't all that needs to be taken into account. I couldn't easily find a list of universities that had links with Durham, however I am sure there are a few that you could go to, however I don't think Durham is your best option.
If you look on world university rankings for Economics courses published in the USA, LSE ranks extremely highly. Partly because it is in London, but also because it is a truly great university. This may be your best bet for the American banks because it is easy to travel to interviews in Canary Wharf when you are living nearby as well as well as being a place where you get a great level of education.
All in all, unless you are set on the idea of studying in the USA, leave it until after undergraduate. This is because it is hard to know what living there will be like during your first proper time away from home. You may want to go to the states because you have loved it on holiday, and that is great, but just make sure that you won't be spending a year of the most important part of your life stuck in a place where you can't get way help and you just want to go home.

p.s. Go and visit the other places, you never know if you may like the Warwick campus or the range of degrees that Cass offers.

Any questions, hit me up and I'll see if I can answer
B-Stacks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With regards to making it into investment banking, you should be aiming for Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Imperial. They're generally known as target unis in the UK.

With regards to working in America, have a read of the responses in this recent thread of someone who was asking about the same: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3287857

Posted from TSR Mobile
johnsully391
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lots of little things outside of the school can help. It helps to go to a top-tier school but its not impossible if you don't.

If you don't get in right away, your best bet is aggressively network into it. Here are some junior investment banking roles that you could make a lateral move into -> Beginning in Banking: http://tapwage.com/channel/beginning-in-banking
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why do you want to work in New York? London is a far nicer city to work in considering we have the luxury of 5 weeks annual leave here compared to no mandatory paid leave in the US...

That may not seem like a big deal now, but when you're working 100+ hour weeks as an analyst, you will massively appreciate some paid time off.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.82%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.26%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.26%
I need help with my personal statement (64)
42.11%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
23.68%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.97%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed