Dreambug101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys, new here. :P

So I'm finishing sorting student finance and stuff, and it's got me thinking. I don't really know the deadlines for this stuff and not really sure how to find out. Does anyone know when student accommodation needs to be confirmed by, and when I need to decide for sure which uni I'm going to? I know the latter needs to be decided first lol, but I'm not sure if it's a UCAS thing, a uni thing, a student finance thing or what?

Also, I apologise for throwing everything into one, I really didn't know how to categorize this. :3 let me know if it belongs elsewhere.

Thanks guys!
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hiya,

Usually you need to firm that university before you can apply for accommodation there.

When did you receive all of your decisions? There are staggered deadlines for replying to decisions and firming: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...rack/key-dates.
Dreambug101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Roving Fish)
Hiya,

Usually you need to firm that university before you can apply for accommodation there.

When did you receive all of your decisions? There are staggered deadlines for replying to decisions and firming: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...rack/key-dates.
Thank you!

I've had a look, it says that there is a deadline for the 6th of May to reply to offers that I had if they were recieved before the 31st March, which they were. But I'm unsure if I can swap or change my mind about them after that date. Otherwise that gives me 2 days to decide on a university, and I can't ring UCAS up today because it's a bank holiday so I can't ask them. :/
It also says 'you can swap a choice for a different one in Track within seven days of the date on your welcome email, however, you can't swap a choice after 30 June'. It says welcome email, so does that mean that it means last june (being the june before you apply - although that would be illogical, I didn't apply for UCAS until at least september).

I'm sorry, I shouldn't expect you to know all this. I'm just worried that I'll screw everything up so soon. Ta.
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CarnationLilyRose)
X
CLR is more experienced at this kind of stuff than me. Especially UCAS. Hopefully she'll see this and be able to give you a better answer than I can.
Dreambug101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Roving Fish)
CLR is more experienced at this kind of stuff than me. Especially UCAS. Hopefully she'll see this and be able to give you a better answer than I can.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dreambug101)
Thank you!

I've had a look, it says that there is a deadline for the 6th of May to reply to offers that I had if they were recieved before the 31st March, which they were. But I'm unsure if I can swap or change my mind about them after that date. Otherwise that gives me 2 days to decide on a university, and I can't ring UCAS up today because it's a bank holiday so I can't ask them. :/
It also says 'you can swap a choice for a different one in Track within seven days of the date on your welcome email, however, you can't swap a choice after 30 June'. It says welcome email, so does that mean that it means last june (being the june before you apply - although that would be illogical, I didn't apply for UCAS until at least september).

I'm sorry, I shouldn't expect you to know all this. I'm just worried that I'll screw everything up so soon. Ta.
You need to make a choice by the 6th of May or Ucas will decline all your offers on your behalf. There is no mucking about on this - make sure you meet that deadline. You can make a change within 7 days of a decision, but tbh, if you don't know now, I can't see much making your mind up for you by May 13th. Forget about any date in June - it doesn't apply to you as you got all your offers before 31st March. Let me repeat this - if you don't reply by 6th May, you will lose all your offers.

You should be applying for finance right now. It can take ages if they hit a snag and you may end up with no money in September. It doesn't matter if you don't go to the same university as you put on your finance application because you miss your offer and go through clearing - that happens to thousands of people every year and only needs the name of the university to be altered, so don't delay for that reason. Do it
now.

As for accommodation, you can't do that until you have firmed your offer, so get on with doing that. All universities will have different deadlines so read what they tell you on their website/emails etc. They don't allocate accommodation until after results day and they know who is coming.

I can't repeat this often enough - you need to make a decision NOW.
Dreambug101
Rep:
?
Okay, so is it a case of I can only choose one university, or can I have a second option ready too? I have two universities in mind, that's all.
entershikari
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can choose one, and an insurance choice incase you don't make the grades for the first one
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Okay, so is it a case of I can only choose one university, or can I have a second option ready too? I have two universities in mind, that's all.
You choose a firm choice and a backup, usually one which has lower requirements. Has no one advised you of any of this at your school?
Dreambug101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
You choose a firm choice and a backup, usually one which has lower requirements. Has no one advised you of any of this at your school?
Not really, once it got to the interview stage we were pretty much left to do as we pleased.

Okay, this will be hard. It won't just determine my uni choice it will determine whether I can stay with my boyfriend or not.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not really, once it got to the interview stage we were pretty much left to do as we pleased.

Okay, this will be hard. It won't just determine my uni choice it will determine whether I can stay with my boyfriend or not.
Well, that's for you to decide.
Dreambug101
Rep:
?
Thank you for all the help, guys.
Dreambug101
Rep:
?
I have until June the 4th now. UCAS sucks. XD Made up my mind though, panic over.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?