The Student Room Group

Do I stand a lower chance of getting into a good university if I'm an Arts student?

I'm planning to apply to universities like Oxbridge, UCL or Edinburgh, but my A-Levels choices will be entirely arts subjects. I haven't actually chosen them yet, but I would probably go for English Literature, Economics, History, and maybe Geography or Classical Civilization or Sociology. (not sure yet)

Do I stand a lower chance of getting into the university of my choice if my subjects are all in the Arts/ Humanities category even if I do get excellent results?

(degree of choice is in the Arts/ Humanities section, of course: English)

Thanks in advance.
Original post by wanderlust98
I'm planning to apply to universities like Oxbridge, UCL or Edinburgh, but my A-Levels choices will be entirely arts subjects. I haven't actually chosen them yet, but I would probably go for English Literature, Economics, History, and maybe Geography or Classical Civilization or Sociology. (not sure yet)

Do I stand a lower chance of getting into the university of my choice if my subjects are all in the Arts/ Humanities category even if I do get excellent results?

Thanks in advance.

Why would you think that something like maths would be useful then?! You're wanting to do an English degree!

No of course it doesn't matter. Your grades will, and depending on your choice of uni degree but not in the case of English. Most just want an English a level and the rest is free choice. Though other essay subjects will also help develop your skills and show them your skills at the same time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Crystalclearmagic
Why would you think that something like maths would be useful then?! You're wanting to do an English degree!

No of course it doesn't matter. Your grades will, and depending on your choice of uni degree but not in the case of English. Most just want an English a level and the rest is free choice. Though other essay subjects will also help develop your skills and show them your skills at the same time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much. You just saved my life.
Reply 3

Thanks in advance.

I suggest you check all the university's website your are going to apply, and check their entry requirement: or even order their prospectus (they are free).

If you have any sort of problems with the requirements, or a question in general, you are allowed (and advised) to email the admission tutors.
Thank you so much. You just saved my life.

No problem :smile:

I would follow the advice of kkboyk too - just double check all the requirements for the universities you want to apply to. Though they won't ask for things like maths for an english degree, it's always worth just knowing what the uni wants from their potential undergrads. :smile:
Original post by kkboyk
I suggest you check all the university's website your are going to apply, and check their entry requirement: or even order their prospectus (they are free).

If you have any sort of problems with the requirements, or a question in general, you are allowed (and advised) to email the admission tutors.

Ive done the checking before, but it's just the stigma in my country against Arts students that put me on the worrying edge. Thanks for the advice!
Reply 6
Ive done the checking before, but it's just the stigma in my country against Arts students that put me on the worrying edge. Thanks for the advice!

I get what you mean: I'll be applying this September for Maths with a Geography and Art A-level :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest