Ajw10
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
can anyone help me with why some sociologists agree that racism is the most important influence on underachievement of ethnic minority students?and the other side of the argument like other factors that affect ethnic minority underachievement
kxylah
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For the for argument, you can talk about:

- Language: Many children from ethnic minority backgrounds don't have english as their mother-toungue, therefore they are behind in many subjects, also teachers may label the students who don't speak english properly as less intelligent, which leads to self-fulfling prophecy, etc.
- Family life: Most afro-caribbean are single parent households, the New Rights say this is bad and leads to financial problems and poor educational attainment. Most Indian & Chinese parents encourage their children to do good in school and help them with work, therefore they do better.
- Racism: Racism can lead to low self esteem and children may start to develop a "culture of resistance" (A sociologist name Hall came up with this idea) which means that they reject school as they feel not respected. Also, teachers may label black students as more "sporty" and asian students as more "sciencey" which leads to self-fulfing prophecy..
- Ethnocentric school curriculum: the idea that the hidden curriculum supports British culture, therefore the British students already have a headstart and the ethnic minorities need to catch up..

For the against side you need to say another factor is more important such as social class (material, cultural deprivation, parental values, Bernsteins elaborate and resisted speech codes theory, etc) or gender..

Hope I helped
Ajw10
Rep:
?
(Original post by kxylah)
For the for argument, you can talk about:

- Language: Many children from ethnic minority backgrounds don't have english as their mother-toungue, therefore they are behind in many subjects, also teachers may label the students who don't speak english properly as less intelligent, which leads to self-fulfling prophecy, etc.
- Family life: Most afro-caribbean are single parent households, the New Rights say this is bad and leads to financial problems and poor educational attainment. Most Indian & Chinese parents encourage their children to do good in school and help them with work, therefore they do better.
- Racism: Racism can lead to low self esteem and children may start to develop a "culture of resistance" (A sociologist name Hall came up with this idea) which means that they reject school as they feel not respected. Also, teachers may label black students as more "sporty" and asian students as more "sciencey" which leads to self-fulfing prophecy..
- Ethnocentric school curriculum: the idea that the hidden curriculum supports British culture, therefore the British students already have a headstart and the ethnic minorities need to catch up..

For the against side you need to say another factor is more important such as social class (material, cultural deprivation, parental values, Bernsteins elaborate and resisted speech codes theory, etc) or gender..

Hope I helped
this helped lots thanks,would the factors you put in the first paragraph be on the agree or disagree paragraph for a 12 marker?
kxylah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ajw10)
this helped lots thanks,would the factors you put in the first paragraph be on the agree or disagree paragraph for a 12 marker?
agree side what exam board are you with?
Ajw10
Rep:
?
Aqa I believe,it's just my teacher says to just talk about the key term mentioned in the question on the agree side so in this instance she would say to talk about just racism,is that incorrect?
kxylah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You would talk to racism to some extent, but you also need to consider other factors like I mentioned, you can also research any articles or statistics which you can mention in your essay I'm also with aqa! Unit one exam on Monday.. So nervous. :eek:
Ajw10
Rep:
?
(Original post by kxylah)
You would talk to racism to some extent, but you also need to consider other factors like I mentioned, you can also research any articles or statistics which you can mention in your essay I'm also with aqa! Unit one exam on Monday.. So nervous. :eek:
Sorry for the late reply,yeah I just had a family and education mock today,nothing too difficult hope your exam goes well
risteard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
two external factors - with evaluation

Two internal factors -with evaluations

12 marks is one side of writing

I moderate for AQA

The other factors listed above are listed and evaluated in a 20 mark question
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (921)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (408)
18.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.42%

Watched Threads