The Student Room Group

FL72: Playoff Discussion Thread

A thrilling campaign from the Football League gave us a fantastic final day to savour for the ages. 12 of the 72 still have the ability to progress one step higher, as they prepare to lock horns for the final time.

The Championship:

Semi Final 1: Brentford vs Middlesbrough
(1-5)

First Leg: Friday 8th May at Griffin Park, 19:45
Second Leg: Friday 15th May at the Riverside, 19:45
Live on Sky Sports 1

Mark Warburton's reign at Brentford has been extended by at least 2 more matches, as his side comfortably overcame a down & out Wigan side on Saturday. Aitor Karanka's side were held by Brighton on the final day, perhaps already feeling the pain after Bournemouth all but secured to their promotion to the Premier League 6 days prior & with Norwich winning, 'Boro slipped to 4th in the table. However is it 'Boro who carry the psychological advantage into the games, boasting the double over the Bees this season including a resounding 4-0 victory at the Riverside back in September.

Semi Final 2: Ipswich Town vs Norwich City
(2-4)

First Leg: Saturday 9th May at Portman Road, 12:15
Second Leg: Saturday 16th May at Carrow Road, 12:15
Live on Sky Sports 1

Despite a final day defeat away to Blackburn, Mick McCarthy's squad squeezed into the playoffs at the expense of Wolves on goal difference, and Derby who were arguably in the strongest position before kick off before they slumped to a 3-0 defeat to Reading. The Canaries were hotly tipped for automatic promotion, but a defeat to 'Boro & draw at Rotherham in the final few weeks proved critical despite the fantastic revival performed by Alex Neil. Similar to the first semi final, the visitors have also performed the double over their rivals this season.

League One:

Semi Final 1: Sheffield United vs Swindon Town
(6-7)

First Leg: Thursday 7th May at Bramall Lane, 19:45 (SS2)
Second Leg: Monday 11th May at the County Ground, 19:45 (TBA)

A rather routine route into the playoffs for both sides, as they already had confirmation of the exclusive place with games to spare. Swindon played out a 2-2 draw with now relegated Leyton Orient, who were expected to launch a promotion charge of their own this season. The Blades also drew their final game against fellow promotion hopefuls Chesterfield, who also confirmed their place with a game to spare. Both sides go in on an even footing, both beating each other in their respective home matches with Swindon hitting five past Sheffield Utd in September in a 5-2 victory.

Semi Final 2: Chesterfield FC vs Preston North End
(0-4)

First Leg: Thursday 7th May at the Proact Stadium, 19:45 (SS5)
Second Leg: Sunday 10th May at Deepdale, 12:15 (SS3)

Chesterfield confirmed their place in the playoff with games to spare, however it wasn't so routine for Preston North End. Simon Grayson's side were in pole position for the automatic places, leading MK Dons by 1 point on the last day and a win at relegation threatened Colchester would've confirmed their return to the Championship. The 82nd minute strike turned out to save save Colchester's League One status, inadvertently forcing Preston into the playoffs which they have, statistically, the worst record in out of the entire 72.

League Two:

Semi Final 1: Plymouth Argyle vs Wycombe Wanderers
(2-6)

First Leg: Saturday 9th May at Home Park, 19:45 (SS1)
Second Leg: Thursday 14th May at Adams Park, 19:45 (TBA)

Plymouth Argyle spent the majority of their season in or around the play off spots, so it was no surprise to see them come home in 6th, collecting 2 wins from their last 2 to see off Luton town, who at one point seemed certain to go up automatically before a torrid run of form saw them slide out of the promotion picture. Wycombe suffered heartbreak, as they ended the season in 4th, just a point off the last automatic point occupied by Bury. A defeat in their penultimate game to Morecambe costing them confirmed League One football.

Semi Final 2: Stevenage vs Southend United
(2-5)

First Leg: Sunday 10th May at Broadhall Way, 18:35 (SS1)
Second Leg: Thursday 14th May at Roots Hall. 19:45 (TBA)

Stevenage were always expected to attempt to bounce back from relegation from League One last season, and the Boro enjoyed a solid season to consolidate their place in the play offs in the penultimate round of fixtures. Southend also had the opportunity to go up automatically, as they headed into the final match holding a 2 point buffer over Bury, however it was Morecambe yet again that tripped up another automatic hopeful, as Southend slumped to a 3-1 defeat on the final day.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Come on you Bees :biggrin:
It's hard to see past a Boro v Norwich final tbh.

Would love Ipswich to finally get out of the Championship though, their owner will surely spend big if they go up. Marcus Evans is an incredibly wealthy man who has poured money into the club before.
Reply 3
Legend, Tornado. PRSOM. Love the way you do match threads.
Reply 4
I think we'll see these finals:
Brentford V Norwich, with the Canaries promoted
Swindon V Preston (Sheff Utd can't do play-offs), with Swindon to go up
Stevenage V Plymouth, with Stevenage to go up (although I am heavily biased in this one)...
Reply 5
I'm going for:

Middlesbrough vs. Ipswich
Sheffield United vs. Preston North End

Can't call League Two because I don't watch it enough.
That opening post though Tornado, that is a beast!

Going for Wolves to win the Championship ones, Preston League One & Stevenage or Plymouth League 2. (Brentford, Sheff U & Southend to continue their playoff curses respectively)
Stop linking me to your threads ffs.
Original post by Ferret1
I think we'll see these finals:
Brentford V Norwich, with the Canaries promoted
Swindon V Preston (Sheff Utd can't do play-offs), with Swindon to go up
Stevenage V Plymouth, with Stevenage to go up (although I am heavily biased in this one)...

Yet you pick Preston and Brentford who have equally poor, if not worse play off records?
Reply 9
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Stop linking me to your threads ffs.

Thought you'd be interested, being a Norwich fan and everything.
Original post by TornadoGR4
Thought you'd be interested, being a Norwich fan and everything.

Omg you know I'm not a Norwich fan. You KNOW that.
Reply 11
The wheels seem to have fallen off Swindon since they were second. Their descent has been alarming, so I'd suggest that the Blades will pip them to set-up a tie against Preston.

The Championship is so hard to call, but I fancy Ipswich to beat Norwich purely on the basis they seem to owe them a derby loss.
Original post by Mackay
Legend, Tornado. PRSOM. Love the way you do match threads.

I agree :yep:
Reply 13
Original post by sr90
Yet you pick Preston and Brentford who have equally poor, if not worse play off records?

Sheffield United's play off failings are far more recent. :smile:
Original post by hskjlclcn
That opening post though Tornado, that is a beast!

Going for Wolves to win the Championship ones, Preston League One & Stevenage or Plymouth League 2. (Brentford, Sheff U & Southend to continue their playoff curses respectively)

You're nothing if not confident.
Reply 15
Original post by hskjlclcn

Wolves aren't in it, mate.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Omg you know I'm not a Norwich fan. You KNOW that.

Do you think they'll make the play off final though?
Original post by Jangrafess
You're nothing if not confident.

Waiting for a 10 point Norwich point deduction for allowing Jerome to be any good.

Original post by Mackay
Wolves aren't in it, mate.

That's a minor technicality.
Brentford to beat Boro this Friday! C'MON!

Won't be around to watch the match sadly so will be glued to livescore app lol.
As much as I like Boro with their Chelsea connections (Karanka, Bamford, Kalas, Omeruo) I'm kinda hoping Brentford go up. Would be great to see their progress from league one a few years ago, and it would be a great away trip being a west london derby.

Boro's stadium is a bit lifeless sometimes, wouldn't mind seeing Ipswich just don't want Norwich. Another one of these pointless clubs that would aim for 17th every season and we already have too many of them in the Premier League as it is.

Quick Reply

Latest