The Student Room Group

Three AS Level Qualifications and an EPQ worth applying to Oxford?

Hi,
Unfortunately due to personal home life and health issues, I was forced to drop my fourth AS Level (German) this year, which left me only with English Literature, Modern History and Politics.
I haven't done me exams yet, but I'm predicted AAB this year.
After looking on the Oxford website, it was mentioned that a fourth AS isn't usually too important and some subjects prefer reading around the subject. I am hoping to study combined History and Politics and do an EPQ on something related next year.
Can anyone let me know whether or not it is worth applying with an EPQ and 3AS (of course continuing this onto A-Level next year) or should I pick up another AS-Level instead (most likely English Language or Drama and Theatre Studies)?

Thank you:smile:
Reply 1
I would say it's always worth applying if you're getting top grades. If you have mitigating circumstances make sure your tutor mentions them on your application.
In terms of applications it doesn't matter too much - I did an EPQ and found it really useful because it showed an interest in the subject and gave me something to talk about in my personal statement and at interview. I would have a look on your course page because some of them have 'required' subjects and then 'recommended' or 'suggested' subjects which are subjects you don't have to have but which they think are relevant or helpful to studying the course - that might help you pick if you decide to pick up a fourth.
Reply 2
Original post by chloeap
I would say it's always worth applying if you're getting top grades. If you have mitigating circumstances make sure your tutor mentions them on your application.
In terms of applications it doesn't matter too much - I did an EPQ and found it really useful because it showed an interest in the subject and gave me something to talk about in my personal statement and at interview. I would have a look on your course page because some of them have 'required' subjects and then 'recommended' or 'suggested' subjects which are subjects you don't have to have but which they think are relevant or helpful to studying the course - that might help you pick if you decide to pick up a fourth.

thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Best of luck :smile:
I'm doing exactly the same! 3 a levels (English lit, maths and history) and an EPQ :smile: what did you get at gcse? That could have an impact

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely apply, I only did 3 AS levels and got an offer (with a B at GCSE), although for a different subject :smile: Just make sure you spend a lot of time on your personal statement- if you haven't started, do, so you have plenty of time to revise it (take out any repetitive/ irrelevant stuff and make sure you mention everything that makes you different). If your personal statement is good, then depending on your subject you have a good chance of being interviewed.

Also, don't discount all extra-curricular things. Relevant things (called 'super-curricular') can be just as, if not more, relevant than curricular things if you can relate them closely to your subject (even documentaries you've watched or books you've read, or a general interest in one area e.g. the French Revolution or the impact of the media in current politics).

Most importantly, make sure you know everything you've mentioned in your PS like the back of your hand as the people who interview you will more than likely have years of experience in interviewing candidates and can tell if you're just bluffing. This is why it's important to choose something you're interested in- you'll not feel that learning about it is hard work, and they'll see that.

As to you the question of whether you should take up another subject, the answer really depends on your interest in it and whether you think you'd be able to cope with four subjects rather than three.

You'll probably need 3 A grades to get in (at A2), but I wouldn't say that a B at AS would be a problem if your PS and interview demonstrate your interest in the subject and your willingness to try to get the A at A2.
Having 3 AS grades and an EPQ is absolutely fine. As long as your AS grades show you can realistically meet the standard offer (AAA-A*A*A depending on course) then they're fine.

GCSEs are quite important so a good handful of As/A*s are normally suggested. Admissions tests are incredibly important so if your course requires one this is worth your main focus. Apart from that your personal statement needs to demonstrate an interest in the course - which can be through wider reading, super curriculars or any other activities that can be linked to the course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest