The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

I want to join a peaceful religion

I've been pretty agnostic for a long time now and all I ever see is bad things related to Christianity and Islam. I have no desire to follow either. I grew up as a Roman Catholic but didn't believe it so left.

Are there any religions built around a positive lifestyle, peace and good health? Surely this is what religion should be about, living in harmony with others on a spiritual level.

So far I've come across Sikhism which looks pretty ideal to me but I'd like to find out more about the religion before committing and other religions that are similar.

Also, how strict is Sikhism with the teachings? I did notice it promotes a vegetarian lifestyle but I think I'd find this extremely hard and I have to be realistic.

Any information would be great.

Scroll to see replies

(edited 8 years ago)
The only peaceful religion is the one within your heart.
I don't think you should follow what others tell you to do. Decide yourself.
I would suggest either Buddhism or Hinduism, maybe even Shintoism :smile:
Or you could not follow a religion and just be the best person you can be?

You can be a positive, well-mannered and rounded human being without being in a religion.

Peace and happiness comes from within, not from some religion.
Reply 6
Ideally its what you feel is right and yes its only up to you.
but Islam means " peace" and it brings a sense of contentment in ones heart. There is however people who disagree and be like oh no its about terrorism or whatever... opposing parties always have something to say ... its not right... you will find inner peace trust me. We pray five times a day to stay closer to our God and also read the Holy Book and keep fasts for one month a year. This helps to reconnect with ourselves and help to realise not everyone is lucky and to get food. We are strictly not allowed drinking and smoking also.. as this harms our bodies ( obviously) so its therefore prohibited. Islam is also the fastest growing religion, but definitely do your research and make sure you know what feels best once you choose :smile: Im not highly religious and am a Muslim girl, we can still go out and have fun, as every weekend getting pissed isn't my type of fun lol ( no offence to people) some people out there have civilised nights out and drink socially which is better.. but surely there's more to life? God put us on earth for a reason, to connect with him as well as make your life and lead a humble life, we shouldn't waste, its obvious not to do the wrong things .. its not always about the religion.. sometimes I ask myself what was the purpose of me being here..i believe there's a God and we didn't come here by a big bang lol .. so surely we were meant to follow his word :smile: Nobodies perfect and we all make mistakes. Sorry for the overly long speech, just my own thoughts to be honest :smile:

Id love to know what path once you have chosen, please do message me when you have, I love to hear about it :smile:
Good Luck
:smile:
Reply 7
Sikhism would be my call, but I don't see how you can follow a religion without first having the faith...are you just looking to follow the lifestyle? Because I'd still recommend Sikhism for the altruism and food. :tongue:
Reply 8
Going vegetarian is much easier than you might think. I'm a vegan so I don't eat any meat, fish, dairy and eggs. There are alternatives to pretty much any food you can think of, such as meat-free meats. You can get vegan alternatives to milk, cheese, butter and eggs. In fact, you can even still scoff your face with vegan deserts. FYI, UK original Oreos are vegan. :wink:

Also, vegetarianism and veganism will benefit you, animals and the environment. It may even benefit your pocket, as eating meat must be so expensive!

If you want to adopt Sikhism or Buddhism don't let the dietary requirements become a barrier, after all, there are amazing benefits in store for you. I hope this helps. :smile: x
religion as the institutions that you are talking about are often outdated and corrupt, full of empty rituals and traditions, out of touch with the original concepts they were originally based on
pretty much all religions are founded on the teachings of a prophet/mystic which often have very similar lessons to share based on their experience of enlightenment.
everything else is a product of the culture/times the religion came out of. However the central lessons of the mystics are timeless. there are branches of mysticism in all major religions of the world, from zen in buddhism, gnosticism in christianity, kaballah in judaism, sufism in islam.... where practitioners have strived to maintain and learn the lessons of their prophet. to strive and reach spiritual fulfillment aka. enlightenment
Original post by Lauren2k
Going vegetarian is much easier than you might think. I'm a vegan so I don't eat any meat, fish, dairy and eggs. There are alternatives to pretty much any food you can think of, such as meat-free meats. You can get vegan alternatives to milk, cheese, butter and eggs. In fact, you can even still scoff your face with vegan deserts. FYI, UK original Oreos are vegan. :wink:

Also, vegetarianism and veganism will benefit you, animals and the environment. It may even benefit your pocket, as eating meat must be so expensive!

If you want to adopt Sikhism or Buddhism don't let the dietary requirements become a barrier, after all, there are amazing benefits in store for you. I hope this helps. :smile: x

Vegan is a terrible diet. It will leave you with dietary problems. People need to eat meat.
every religion has its fair share of radicals. And it includes Sikhism and buddhism
Original post by william walker
Vegan is a terrible diet. It will leave you with dietary problems. People need to eat meat.

dont give opinions when you dont know what you are talking about buddy :smile:
never before in human history has there been an abundance of meat such as seen in out society nowadays.
Of course its not the case for ALL hunter gatherer societies(the state in which humans were living until 10,000 years ago when the first sedentary societies started to pop up) as lifstyle varied according to peoples surroundings (of course an inuit is going to have a very different diet than a tribe living in namibia...) but it would be pretty safe to claim that for most humans meat would have been considered a huge(and rare) luxury, with most diets being based primarily on plants/roots/insects/nuts..
there would have been small mammals/birds to supplement the diet but hunting big game would have been a difficult and dangerous task at those times.
so yeah not eating meat is something our bodies are perfectly adapted to doing, as long as you have a sufficiently varied diet. if anything a lot of health problems nowadays are due to people consuming way too much meat which our digestive system has trouble to cope with.
ask your grandparents, even 50 years ago meat was a luxury that most families could afford to have maybe once or twice a week....
Reply 13
Original post by william walker

A common misconception, as a vegan can get all vital nutrients from a plant-based diet alone. Even soya milk is extremely high in calcium, iron, protein, and vitamins C & D. No supplements needed! Not to mention there is far less saturated fats in a vegan diet, but lots and lots of fibre and protein! I've never had a bigger health issue than 1 or 2 colds a year.
you could surely be a peaceful atheist?
sufism
buddhism or wicca tend to be peaceful faiths.

you never here of a buddhist or a wiccan cutting off someones head or picketing soldiers funerals
Original post by André 3000
I've been pretty agnostic for a long time now and all I ever see is bad things related to Christianity and Islam. I have no desire to follow either. I grew up as a Roman Catholic but didn't believe it so left.

Are there any religions built around a positive lifestyle, peace and good health? Surely this is what religion should be about, living in harmony with others on a spiritual level.

So far I've come across Sikhism which looks pretty ideal to me but I'd like to find out more about the religion before committing and other religions that are similar.

Also, how strict is Sikhism with the teachings? I did notice it promotes a vegetarian lifestyle but I think I'd find this extremely hard and I have to be realistic.

Any information would be great.

I am Sikh, and until you get baptised, it isn't strict.
Before being baptised you are a follower who is in love with God and is slowly progressing. You don't have to be vege to be Sikh, you just have to want to learn.
After being baptised you are not allowed meat, etc, but being baptised is a whole different level, and it takes practise to reach it.
You are right about the emphasis on helping others and doing good in the world and help the needy.
No one is better than the other so it is good for anybody who wants routine, a bit of discipline and the joy of helping others 😊
Original post by stankanovic
dont give opinions when you dont know what you are talking about buddy :smile:
never before in human history has there been an abundance of meat such as seen in out society nowadays.
Of course its not the case for ALL hunter gatherer societies(the state in which humans were living until 10,000 years ago when the first sedentary societies started to pop up) as lifstyle varied according to peoples surroundings (of course an inuit is going to have a very different diet than a tribe living in namibia...) but it would be pretty safe to claim that for most humans meat would have been considered a huge(and rare) luxury, with most diets being based primarily on plants/roots/insects/nuts..
there would have been small mammals/birds to supplement the diet but hunting big game would have been a difficult and dangerous task at those times.
so yeah not eating meat is something our bodies are perfectly adapted to doing, as long as you have a sufficiently varied diet. if anything a lot of health problems nowadays are due to people consuming way too much meat which our digestive system has trouble to cope with.
ask your grandparents, even 50 years ago meat was a luxury that most families could afford to have maybe once or twice a week....

Yeah and those people who couldn't eat meat were normally smaller, weaker and dumber. Than the people who could eat meat. We are meant to eat meat along with other things.
Original post by Lauren2k
A common misconception, as a vegan can get all vital nutrients from a plant-based diet alone. Even soya milk is extremely high in calcium, iron, protein, and vitamins C & D. No supplements needed! Not to mention there is far less saturated fats in a vegan diet, but lots and lots of fibre and protein! I've never had a bigger health issue than 1 or 2 colds a year.

Yeah I eat meat and I haven't had a cold or any health problem is 5 years. Basically since I left school.

Fat is good for you. As in the natural fat from eating meat. Also you say no supplements need because you don't eat meat you need to eat something else to get the same result. How long have you been a vegan for?