Is citing dates important when referencing theorists? Watch

jakepro94
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys I am independently studying AS & A2 Sociology and have no guidance from teachers/tutors.

How important is mentioning the dates of theories? For example, if I'm referencing or quoting Parsons, would I have to include "1951"?

I know discussing theories is crucial, but how many theorists would I need to include in the 24-mark essays (Families & Households, Unit 1)? I'm aiming for an A and need some advice. Thanks.
xfazzx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jakepro94)
Hey guys I am independently studying AS & A2 Sociology and have no guidance from teachers/tutors.

How important is mentioning the dates of theories? For example, if I'm referencing or quoting Parsons, would I have to include "1951"?

I know discussing theories is crucial, but how many theorists would I need to include in the 24-mark essays (Families & Households, Unit 1)? I'm aiming for an A and need some advice. Thanks.
Hi, I did Families and Households and Education at AS and didn't mention the dates. I got 100% in the former, so I don't think it's necessary I wouldn't be able to put a number on the amount of theorists you should put in a 24 marker. I think a good way to get a top grade is if you make sure you locate your answer between different perspectives. Then, conclude with which one you agree with, making sure it flows naturally from you previous argument, of course.
jakepro94
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by xfazzx)
Hi, I did Families and Households and Education at AS and didn't mention the dates. I got 100% in the former, so I don't think it's necessary I wouldn't be able to put a number on the amount of theorists you should put in a 24 marker. I think a good way to get a top grade is if you make sure you locate your answer between different perspectives. Then, conclude with which one you agree with, making sure it flows naturally from you previous argument, of course.
Thanks for replying. Would it be okay to just use the second name of the theorist? How important are quotes? And would you advise against revising for one topic per unit? I'm revising for Families & Households, only touched on Poverty/Welfare briefly and studied the basics for Culture & Identity.
xfazzx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jakepro94)
Thanks for replying. Would it be okay to just use the second name of the theorist? How important are quotes? And would you advise against revising for one topic per unit? I'm revising for Families & Households, only touched on Poverty/Welfare briefly and studied the basics for Culture & Identity.
Yes, just the second name is fine. I don't know about quotes, there's nothing wrong with including them, I guess. Just make sure you get the theorist's idea. You're only supposed to answer one section in the exam. You're not supposed to be revising for more than one section. So stick with Families and Households
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (69)
7.97%
I used to but I don't now (24)
2.77%