Suggestion to create an alternative Rock/Metal Soc

Watch
Smash Bandicoot
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
edit: A quick scan show that the Pop/Punk forum has been dead for 2 weeks *facepalms*

This is in no way to diss what looks like an awesome community, but I've had a little browse and I would definitely say their tastes are much more…hardcore. Almost underground? There was some disdain for mainstream metal e.g. Trivium (although many would say these are more New Wave etc., and sub-par), there was also a strong focus on black and death metal. Definitely a way to give attention to less known bands, those that dot always end up in Kerrang or Scuzz or even Rolling Stone etc., but not for everyone's tastes, especially given the current lowering average age range of the forum.

At risk of being that sellout kid I was wondering whether it would be worth the creation of a second Rock/Metal/Alt/Indie soc, to cater to all those of a slightly more mainstream disposition. Perhaps I'm naive I just don't see much love for the alternative/metalcore/hard rock/post-hardcore/scene/pop-punk/indie kids on there. As such the community looks fairly close-knit. I could have completely the wrong idea though.

Wow I'm not usually this bad at articulating myself anyway it's just a thought
Mactotaur
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A group for alt/nu Rock/metal? Count me in.
theo1jinx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I listen pretty much everything and often enjoy some thrash or alternative metal, especially to relieve the stress I'll definitely sub
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
edit: A quick scan show that the Pop/Punk forum has been dead for 2 weeks *facepalms*

This is in no way to diss what looks like an awesome community, but I've had a little browse and I would definitely say their tastes are much more…hardcore. Almost underground? There was some disdain for mainstream metal e.g. Trivium (although many would say these are more New Wave etc., and sub-par), there was also a strong focus on black and death metal. Definitely a way to give attention to less known bands, those that dot always end up in Kerrang or Scuzz or even Rolling Stone etc., but not for everyone's tastes, especially given the current lowering average age range of the forum.

At risk of being that sellout kid I was wondering whether it would be worth the creation of a second Rock/Metal/Alt/Indie soc, to cater to all those of a slightly more mainstream disposition. Perhaps I'm naive I just don't see much love for the alternative/metalcore/hard rock/post-hardcore/scene/pop-punk/indie kids on there. As such the community looks fairly close-knit. I could have completely the wrong idea though.

Wow I'm not usually this bad at articulating myself anyway it's just a thought
I suggested something similar a few years ago (specifically splitting the rock/metal soc into a rock soc and a metal soc to achieve the same purpose) but there wasn't much interest in it from other members.

I would support this, as I am one of those who doesn't respond to the more mainstream stuff on the thread. I imagine it is a little disheartening for those who want to have a conversation about mainstream rock music but find a thread mostly comprised of a few people talking about depressive black metal. You're right about there not being much love for the alternative/metalcore/hard rock/post-hardcore/scene/pop-punk/indie kids on there, so there's another reason I'd support a thread to discuss those particular things. It's not that I necessarily dislike the people who like those things but I have no interest in talking about them.
Devel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Manitude)
I suggested something similar a few years ago (specifically splitting the rock/metal soc into a rock soc and a metal soc to achieve the same purpose) but there wasn't much interest in it from other members.

I would support this, as I am one of those who doesn't respond to the more mainstream stuff on the thread. I imagine it is a little disheartening for those who want to have a conversation about mainstream rock music but find a thread mostly comprised of a few people talking about depressive black metal. You're right about there not being much love for the alternative/metalcore/hard rock/post-hardcore/scene/pop-punk/indie kids on there, so there's another reason I'd support a thread to discuss those particular things. It's not that I necessarily dislike the people who like those things but I have no interest in talking about them.
:toofunny:

I agree with everything said.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (26)
27.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (9)
9.68%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.45%

Watched Threads