Will there be a coalition government, let alone a majority?

Watch
Poll: Outcome of Election
Majority (solely) Labour government (0)
0%
Majority (solely) Conservative government (0)
0%
Majority Conservative-led coalition (1)
16.67%
Majority Labour-led coalition (0)
0%
Minority Conservative-led coalition (0)
0%
Minority Labour-led coalition (2)
33.33%
Minority Labour government with confidence supply deal (1)
16.67%
Minority Conservative government with confidence supply deal (1)
16.67%
Minority Labour government with no deal (0)
0%
Minority Conservative government with no deal (0)
0%
The God Odejhsaoirfhjaio destroys the UK, hence no election (1)
16.67%
flibber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
EDIT: Include vote-by-vote basis under the 'confidence and supply' option. Sorry, forgot they're different things; I had to put a poll quickly before people posted asking me to put one. I'm rather ignorant when it comes to politics.

EDIT 2: Click 'The God Odejhsaoirfhjaio destroys the UK, hence no election' if you mean 'I don't know what the outcome of the election will be.'

With neither Labour or the Conservatives predicted to win a majority of seats in the House of Commons, will we have a coalition, a confidence and supply agreement, or a weakened minority government formed by one party, which can't deliver on its promises due to the opposition voting against the government's policies? Or due to the fact that this is an incredibly volatile election, will the Conservatives/Labour win a majority of seats, as they (obviously) have aimed to all along?

Labour has ruled out any deal with the SNP, and has also ruled out a coalition with Plaid Cymru.

The Liberal Democrats are set to lose too many of their seats to be the kingmakers they were last time, but continue to state that they are needed to avoid Labour swinging to the left due to the SNP 'hijacking' Downing Street, and avoid UKIP having too much influence with a Tory led government. So I believe they'd rule out any deal involving either the SNP or UKIP.

The SNP, Plaid Cymru, and the Greens have ruled out any post-election deal whatsoever with the Tories.

The Greens has virtually no power whatsoever by themselves in the event of a hung parliament. What I've heard is that the Greens have ruled out being in a government involving the Lib Dems, as the latter's promises of the current government being the 'greenest' ever have been declared to be a lie by the Greens.

UKIP's not going to form a deal with Labour, due to the fact that Labour rejects the idea on a referendum on the EU. However, I still would laugh at the idea of David Cameron shaking hands with Nigel Farage in front of 10 Downing Street, although it's still in the realm of possibility.

I can imagine the DUP backing the Tories, and the SDLP backing Labour, but will it be enough?

Will we get a coalition government, but one which will fall apart due to the too frequent conflicting interests of the many parties involved?

The UK is not in a crisis severe enough (like World War II) for a 'grand coalition' between the Tories and Labour to be formed (although 'grand coalitions' are not unheard of in Germany (1966-1969, 2005-2009, and currently).
flibber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I would personally go for a Labour government with the SDLP and Lib Dems backing (maybe a coalition), and with the SNP and Plaid Cymru still voting for many of his policies even though he rejects even a 'vote by vote' basis deal with them. The SNP has no choice but to vote for most of Labour's bills even if they're not included in any deal, otherwise

1) They'll be villified by English voters as obstructionists if they threaten to vote against the bills Ed Miliband wants to pass, just to make him divert billions of pounds to Scotland.

2) They'll be accused by their Scottish voters of diverging from their left-wing roots.
alex787
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think there will have to be a re-election if no set of parties can form a coalition government.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (344)
34.68%
No (648)
65.32%

Watched Threads