Biology - DNA Watch

@_sxrxhf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
If organ transplants are ethical, why do we use pig hearts ?
And why use pig hearts anyways if we share 90 something of our DNA with chimps ?
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by @_sxrxhf)
If organ transplants are ethical, why do we use pig hearts ?
And why use pig hearts anyways if we share 90 something of our DNA with chimps ?
I'm not 100% certain, but I think that it would mean killing fewer animals by using a pig's heart valve as pigs are already farmed for food.
kanra
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are more people who need heart transplants than there are donors. And even then, there are issues with rejection of the transplanted heart by the immune system - you can't just put any heart into any human.

I would imagine it's to do with heart rate as well. The pig heart beat is quite similar to the average human's; I think monkey hearts beat a lot quicker.
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can't add much to what's already been said. I'm also not an expert on organ transplants, especially hearts.

If you were to transplant an organ into a human, it would have to be structurally similar and a very close morphology to the host species. Pigs hearts are very similar when you consider it's structure and cell surface antigens in comparisons to humans. I don't think pigs hearts have been used to directly replace a human's one (don't quote me on that), but the pig's heart valve is an excellent candidate for tissue transplant into humans because they share similar surface antigens to humans, making them more accepted by the immune system.

Also, just because we may share 90% or so of our DNA with a chimpanzee doesn't mean our hearts will be structurally similar or identical to theirs. If we were to perform a gene transplant, it might be more appropriate humans are said to share 50% of their DNA with a banana, I wouldn't like to imagine there will be any banana organ donors in the near future.
2007PSanHa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If organ transplants are ethical, why do we use pig hearts ? Because pigs are anatomically very similar to humans. The pigs from which the hearts are taken are grown specifically for their hearts, they are not the ones which are grown for the food industry. This is because, like blood, the antigens have to match and if they do not rejection can occur. For this reason, some of the antigens are "knocked out".
Because this may be seen as unethical as it would be like killing a human for their heart.
Hope I helped!
@_sxrxhf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by 2007PSanHa)
If organ transplants are ethical, why do we use pig hearts ? Because pigs are anatomically very similar to humans. The pigs from which the hearts are taken are grown specifically for their hearts, they are not the ones which are grown for the food industry. This is because, like blood, the antigens have to match and if they do not rejection can occur. For this reason, some of the antigens are "knocked out".
Because this may be seen as unethical as it would be like killing a human for their heart.
Hope I helped!
Thank You so much . It was very helpful !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (44)
60.27%
No (29)
39.73%

Watched Threads