The Student Room Group

Mature Students and Freshers??

I'm 31, I probably won't be going on any of the crazy nights out drinking haha, especially since I have a family and I'll be commuting to get to uni, but I am wondering what there is at Freshers for mature students.

Any other mature students wondering the same thing?

Are there any mature students who can tell me if it's worth going to Freshers?
Original post by ellabellabean
I'm 31, I probably won't be going on any of the crazy nights out drinking haha, especially since I have a family and I'll be commuting to get to uni, but I am wondering what there is at Freshers for mature students.

It really depends on what uni you're going to - some will have far better provision than others. It also depends what you're interested in. Be aware though that most universities run induction events the same week though, so even if you don't want to go to Freshers per se, you'll probably end up on campus that week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's the problem. I don't really know what's on at freshers week to know if there will be anything I'm interested in!
there are many students who aren't greatly into drinking games and clubbing. You will need course friends for the time when you miss a lecture and want notes or a time changes and you need to check you've got it right.

There are opportunities to do many things at university and often at a lower cost than you will ever be offered again. Want to do some sport, learn a martial art, learn to dance, take an interest in politics - there will be a fresher's fair where clubs try to get you to join. They will include subject clubs. Freshers will also include an induction showing you how to get the best from your libraries. There will be a variety of social events on offer that vary between universities but can just include a chance to chat to students from previous years, to play board games, to have a picnic with free pizza.

You should be sent some sort of freshers guide and/or a link to an online version. You can then decide how much to attend but you'd be wise to attend some of it.
(edited 8 years ago)
That's the problem. I don't really know what's on at freshers week to know if there will be anything I'm interested in!

You could have a look at your uni fresher week page from last year to get an idea of what they have, but it will probably be late August before they release their info for this year. Generally there's lots of ice breaker events etc, and sports teams and societies tend to hold taster sessions either in freshers week or the week after.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If u dont have a beard, u can easily fit in those freshers parties

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
My Freshers' Week Guide was sent and emailed in late August, so don't worry about planning yet.

I have to say that my uni was spectacularly useless at freshers' events which didn't involve drinking lots and staying out late (neither of which I was even capable of doing any more!). However the Freshers' Fair was a good way of finding out about clubs, societies and uni facilities. It was also a great source of money off vouchers for things like Subway and Dominos if you like those.

I didn't find that I'd missed much, in terns of meeting people and fitting in. Being 44 at the time, it would've horrified the younger cohort if I'd turned up to a club night!
Hahaha I defo don't have a beard! I've really enjoyed reading these replies though and it has been a great help seeing the suggestions and experiences. Thanks everyone!

What Uni are you going to? I searched for fresher's week and my chosen university on Youtube. Low and behold there were a fair number of videos covering previous years fresher events.

Give it a try, I have found youtube more informative than most of the official channels when it comes to answering my queries about student life. Student accommodation reviews come to mind XD
You can always just visit the union and soak up the atmosphere during the day/join societies etc. Oh and get free yo-yos.
There's usually a freshers fair which tells you about the kind of things going on around the uni and more low key events that aren't so drink oriented which you could join in with. You're likely to make friends on your course anyway and you definitely won't be the only mature student so maybe you could try looking at facebook groups relating to freshers at your uni and connecting with other mature students at your uni, as well as getting more info on what's going on during freshers itself. Have a look at their student union, they usually have their own website and will keep you posted on upcoming events nearer the time :smile:

Not a mature student as such but I can help you with whats involved in freshers week. During the first week at many unis you have registration- essential for releasing student finance, introduction lectures welcoming you to the department, maybe even a first taster lesson for your course, introduction to labs if its a science. So you would want to be around during the day.

Then provision can be mixed beyond that for mature students- its worth looking to see if the university you go to has a mature students society, mine does and they had a coffee morning in freshers week, not sure if they had anything else beyond that though. You also might find more gentle freshers events in the evening which might appeal to you at some unis such as a quiz night. The majority of events are tailored towards young freshers though.
Reply 12

My university had a lot of events on during day as well as the evening, and had events specially for mature students to meet each other. We had a calendar of all of the events going on over the two week, so look out for something similar. Its still very early, most of the freshers info I got wasn't given out until the beginning of September, or on the first day.
Reply 13
My uni had lots of 'meet and greet' events, usually with free cake, during the first week. If there is a mature students soc they will probably have one, but there are also likely to be welcome events for your course or school. It's definitely worth going to the freshers fair - as well as all the info already mentioned there are loads of freebies!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much for all your ideas and feedback! I'll definitely go now I know there's more to it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending