Trolleybaby
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm not sure whether I will get a response to this post as WJEC sociology doesn't seem to be popular. However, I am on desperate need of help. For SY1, I am almost guaranteed a B/A but we did a SY2 mock last week and I did horrendous.

I can't seem to get to grips with all the research methods and I'm really struggling. Our college taught us to write the advantages/disadvantages in terms of practical, ethical and theoretical issues which I'm stuggly with. If any has an easier way to answer the research questions it would be much appreciate, or any revision tips for this!

Also, we have only just completed the education half of the unit, and I thought I understood it but once it came to answering the questions I couldn't do it at all. Is there any easy way of learning this? As SY1 came naturally to me, and with 17 days left until the exam I am so unsure whether I will be able to get a B which I desperately need.

I've already wrote out ALL notes from lessons for SY2. I just need advice on how to go about learn the whole unit in 17 days while revising for my other exams. I'm not good with the old copying notes out 5+ times method but maybe this would be the most beneficial at this time? Realistically, can I even get my SY2 grade from a U to a B in this short amount of time?

Thanks for any help provided
meganlydiaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,
for research methods my teacher taught us the P.E.R.V.E.R.T evaluation (I don't know if you may have been taught this already but it really helped me get to grips with research methods.) Basically it's as follows:
P-practical issues:
>Time consuming
>how much will it cost
>access to sample
>will researchers have funding (from a uni for example)
E- ethical issues:
>informed consent
>Psychological harm (Researcher and subjects)
>deception
>illegal activities
R- representative:
>large or small sample
>can results be generalised
V- validity:
> can you get verstehen
>value free
>objective/subjective
>hawthorne effect
>researcher bias
E- examples:
>examples of this research method (showing strength or weaknesses)
R- reliability:
>easy to repeat
>can standard procedures be used if repeated.
T- theoretical:
>Positivism vs interpretivism
>subjective vs objective
>quantitative vs qualitative

Hope this helps
Trolleybaby
Rep:
?
I'll try and start learning research methods using this method! Thank you.
Are you confident with the sociology exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
meganlydiaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well i have already taken this exam last year and got a high C so i am re doing the exam to try and get an A/B. I have pretty much learned the whole contents of the exam twice, so hopefully it will pay off.
Trolleybaby
Rep:
?
Fingers crossed it pays off! How did you do in SY1 last year?

I am really confident with SY1 and I think I can achieve a strong B or if the questions are in my favour I should be able to get an A.
SY2 is my concern but that is because we had a bad teacher for the research methods part. My current teacher is going to go back over research methods and 'drill it in' and hopefully the method you told me works effectively. I ended up getting a B in a 40 mark education question, but a D in a 20 mark.
lnaz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
can anyone predict what the 20 mark questions on education would be ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (216)
52.3%
No, they should still go ahead (58)
14.04%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (139)
33.66%

Watched Threads