The Student Room Group

Self employed parent. Very confused.

Ok, so my dad just completed his part of the student finance process. He's self employed, but the actual amount of money he brought home was 16k after tax and expenses. My mother earns 13k so that's a combined household income of 29k. When completing the process he told me that there were 3 check boxes, each one indicating a certain range of amounts you earned. He clicks the first one, then was asked whether he wanted to apply for a maintenance grant which would be repayable. He clicked no as he was under the impression that i'd have to pay back the grant and not the loan (according to him it stated that the loan would not be repayable) and that was it. No where throughout the process did he actually write down 16k. My mother has yet to do her part.

I've just logged onto my account and apparently I'd be receiving the absolute minimum (£3731) and no grant.

I'm just wondering if that's really all I'd get?

And does my mother also have to fill out her part of the student finance considering my dad was asked what both him and his partner earned?
Hi There,

Because your dad has indicated that you don't want the grant you have not received your full funding. If you can get your parents to send a PFF2 form (http://bit.ly/1IfQHCC) with details of their gross income (before tax) then this will get you the additional funding. I should also say that grants are not repayable, although you will have to repay the maintenance loan.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending