Very insecure talking about love life/relationships Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I don't know why, but I seem to have some kind deep rooted insecurity about being open to people about my relationships/my love life. It's normal to get a bit embarrassed sure, but my reaction is a lot more extreme than that. When someone asks me about my love life, or teases me about setting me up with a girl or something like that, I get VERY nervous and insecure about it. For some reason I feel really ashamed, my heart starts racing, my face goes red and I get very awkward. It's like I start to have a mini panic attack.

I react like this with everyone. My family, my friends...but not so much with people I don't know very well or have just met. I guess it's because I don't care too much what they think about me, but I care about what my friends/family think about me.

For example, I was with a friend, and he made a joke about setting me up with this girl he knows, and I just went really awkward and embarrassed! I made him feel a bit uncomfortable. Another time I was with friends and we walked past this girl I knew, and they started teasing me about her, I got really insecure, my face went very red and I felt like I could almost cry. With my family it seems worse, they started asking about my love life and again I got very awkward and embarrassed.

I'm fine talking to my mates about hot girls and things like that, but when it comes to my personal relationships/love I get incredibly insecure about it.

I think it might be something to do with the fact that I find it very hard to open up to people in general?

A little background on me:
I'm 24, male. I've only had one girlfriend, who I met online. But when I was with her I never told any of my family(only told 1 friend cause he forced it out of me) about us, mainly because I was embarassed they might ask how we met, and I'd have to say on a dating website. That was something that always played on my mind and made me very insecure.

I've dated a few girls after that, but nothing that lasted.

When I was a kid I moved around a lot and lived in 5 different countries before my family finally settled in england when I was in year 7. After leaving the 1st country at the age of 3, I suddenly became very shy and found it very hard to make friends in school. For 3 years at primary school, and from year 7 - 12 I literally had no friends what so ever, was a total loner. Of course I got teased a lot for it. Those were the worst years of my life. I finally sorted my life out when I went to college and I've been a lot better since then, but still have lots of deep rooted insecurities. I think I probably have social anxiety disorder, but I've improved A LOT from where I was in secondary school.

Anyone else have the same kind of insecurities? Any advice? I think seeing a therapist or hypnotherapist would benefit me, but it's expensive! Like £100 per session, which was the cheapest one I could find...

My insecurities has seriously affected my friendships and potential relationships. It really does make me feel down sometimes, I sometimes make people feel uncomfortable and it spoils some friendships I have. I just want to be a normal guy like everyone else. I'm a pretty likable guy who gets along really well with most people I work with, but when something comes up that makes me act awkward and insecure, they get a bit uncomfortable and I think it spoils the friendship a bit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (39)
9.7%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (76)
18.91%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.68%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.95%
How can I be the best version of myself? (123)
30.6%

Watched Threads