Why haven't we developed forcefields/shields yet?

Watch
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Surely it can't be that beyond us? So forcefields/shields protecting military vehicles, acting as a barrier in place of fences, etc?
TorpidPhil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have no idea.
Lady Comstock
Rep:
?
(Original post by TorpidPhil)
I have no idea.
Informative!
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've always wondered why they haven't made the Scarab from Halo irl too
Jibola240
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nobody has found a practical way of doing it yet. The technology is beyond us. Physics of the inpossible by Michio Kaku deals with this quite well.
Maradiah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
Surely it can't be that beyond us? So forcefields/shields protecting military vehicles, acting as a barrier in place of fences, etc?
This is not science fiction.

Put down the comic books, and open your curtains.
JWH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is some work being done on this. I have read some articles about the army using capacitors to dump a load of energy into the armor of armored vehicles and tanks to generated a electro magnetic shield. That sheild would then cause bullets and rpgs to tumble before impact thus reducing the impact damage (as the rounds would have less penetrative power on a side collision than tip). But I am a bit drunk and so cannot remember where I saw articles about this. Plus they were just articles so it could all be bull.

But as a sci fi fan I shall continue to hope haha
Lady Comstock
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maradiah)
This is not science fiction.

Put down the comic books, and open your curtains.
Jolly rude!
Lt.Hartigan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JWH)
There is some work being done on this. I have read some articles about the army using capacitors to dump a load of energy into the armor of armored vehicles and tanks to generated a electro magnetic shield. That sheild would then cause bullets and rpgs to tumble before impact thus reducing the impact damage (as the rounds would have less penetrative power on a side collision than tip)
What was the date of the article, 1st April?
JWH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lt.Hartigan)
What was the date of the article, 1st April?
No but it was done by the telegraph so it may as well have been haha.

Ah i do wish this was a thing. The theory makes sense though it just isn't practical. Similar to railguns. the idea works but the energy needed to power one is way too impractical.

EDIT: Though I rather shielding as a concept than railguns. Shields could be very handy in general use such as reduce car collisions and even on planes. Depending on how they work it could maybe increase aerodynamics allowing faster safer flight. But these are just the dreams of a semi drunk sci-fi nerd haha
Maradiah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
Jolly rude!
Well it's not realistic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (72)
22.93%
Excited but a bit nervous (141)
44.9%
Not bothered either way (37)
11.78%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed