The Student Room Group

Doctor put me in for a testicular ultrasound- worried

I noticed a lump 'down there' a couple of days ago, and I just went to see a GP to get it checked out. I told the doc that I had some pain when ever I touched the lump, and she did an examination. She put me down to get an ultrasound and said I'll get a letter in the post telling me when and where to go for it.
I'm quite worried about it. She said she doesn't think it's anything serious, probably just a cyst, but still. She said the lump seems to be apart from the testicle. I'm not sure if it's actually on the testicle or on the sperm tubes at the back. Obviously I hear about testicular cancer all the time and how important it is to check, and it most affects men around my age (19). I have no other symptoms though, but why would she put me down for a scan if she doesn't think it's serious?
Try not to worry to much. Doctors have a duty of care and it would be pretty irresponsible for them to ignore a lump of that nature - especially if it did turn out to be something bad.
I was booked in for a punch biopsy because of some worries I had and it came back all clear.
It's basically just to be safe rather than sorry :smile:
There are other reasons your doctor might ask for an ultrasound other than to check for cancer. She might be looking to check whether its a cyst, lymph node, or an abscess that you might need medication for.
It can be really difficult to tell what a lump is just by feeling it from the outside, so try not to get anxious because she has asked for this scan. Fingers crossed you'll know more about what it is soon, and you can feel reassured.
Reply 3
Ok, thanks both of you. I just hope I can get the scan and the results back rather quickly. I hate waiting.
Original post by Anonymous
Ok, thanks both of you. I just hope I can get the scan and the results back rather quickly. I hate waiting.

If she was concerned you'd have been booked in for an urgent one, waiting probably just means it's a routine just checking to be safe. If she didn't check, and missed something, she'd be in trouble.
Reply 5
I just got the ultrasound. They said I have to wait 7 days, then the results will be given to my gp.
I just got the ultrasound. They said I have to wait 7 days, then the results will be given to my gp.

Hope everything turns out to be okay! :smile:
Reply 7
My bf found a lump in his testicles and the doctor said she was almost certain it was just a vein but would get an ultrasound ordered just to be on the safe side. Turned out it was just a prominent part of his vein. I think every man with a lump down there will be sent for a scan as a precaution just as every woman who has a lump on her breast will be sent for a mammogram.

Best of luck with your results :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Just thought I'd let you know, I got my results back today, and it was just a cyst and nothing serious:smile:
Just thought I'd let you know, I got my results back today, and it was just a cyst and nothing serious:smile:

good to hear mate
I’m in the same boat right now and 17. I’m waiting for an ultrasound and hoping for nothing serious and just a cyst. Worried sick

Quick Reply

Latest