The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

oh, my sweet summer child..
Nah, it doesn't rain that much, you should be ok with t-shirts and shorts for most of the year.
Reply 3
It's pissing down right now and it's may.. If that says much for you haha :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Depends on which part of Britain. I've lived in London for my whole life and it's mainly cloudy rather than rainy and when it does rain it's not as bad. However go up north and it's a different story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It doesn't really rain that much to be fair, it may seem a bit cold if you're from the Mediterranean though
In the summer it can get really nice and warm, but in the winter we do get some pretty damn cold weather. Although it doesn't rain as much as we like to complain it does, it still rains enough to warrant a few raincoats - mostly though you'll want some thick jumpers and lined coats for the winter.
I don't think it'll snow again for quite a while, but it does get super cold over Christmas and during January/February, so make sure you have gloves or a scarf. One thing to keep in mind is that - especially if you're near the coast - is that the wind is always freezing. Don't go without an extra under layer if you wear anything made of wool (:
Reply 7
Well, to put it into perspective, our average summer temperature is around 36°. It can get higher then that, and it frequently does, but that's what you can expect. In the winter, it's usually around 10°-15°. It never snows and it only rarely rains.
Rains more than the med, just buy clothes to suit the climate when you get here
Original post by Withengar
I'm moving to the UK in September for university and I'm about to buy fall/winter clothing while they're still cheap. I'm from a small, warm Mediterranean city and temperatures never fall below freezing. The idea that it rains a lot in Britain is a fairly popular one, so I decided to turn to you guys for help. What should I buy? How cold does it get? What can't you go without?

In the autumn/winter months you should expect a fair amount of rain! It's very erratic though so sometimes you'll have a dry week and other times it'll rain pretty much non stop for days on end. I would recommend you get a warm, thick, waterproof coat with a hood and make sure its big enough so you can layer up the jumpers underneath.

Another option is to buy a thin rain coat and hoodies (hooded sweatshirts) that can be worn underneath for the winter and you can wear the rain coat by itself when it's raining but not cold.

The temperature does quite often drop below freezing here, particularly in the evenings but the temperatures and the amount of rain both depend on where in the UK you are going as the South of England isn't going to be quite as cold or wet as the North. It's not like Russia though I mean the temperatures don't normally drop below -10 south of Scotland. I'd say you'd feel the cold moreso than us though as you won't be used to it so I recommend hoodies! A good sturdy umbrella is also a good idea.

Where in the UK are you moving to?
Reply 10
Lol tbh yes it does, especially around winter. It was so hot yesterday though, but then suddenly rained :colonhash:
Original post by r-t
Depends on which part of Britain. I've lived in London for my whole life and it's mainly cloudy rather than rainy and when it does rain it's not as bad. However go up north and it's a different story.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah never rains in london!- i love the rain so i wish it rained more

probuably the haze of pollution protects us from the rain aha
Well, to put it into perspective, our average summer temperature is around 36°. It can get higher then that, and it frequently does, but that's what you can expect. In the winter, it's usually around 10°-15°. It never snows and it only rarely rains.

It does depend on the area of Britain. In Scotland it's much colder than in the south. The northwest of England (Lancashire-y area) is particularly rainy. Lincolnshire is particularly windy because it's so flat. Anywhere coastal is also particularly windy, and we only get Arctic winds here, no nice Mediterranean breezes. I think Wales is also meant to be pretty rainy.

You WILL need a raincoat and waterproof shoes, no matter where you go, and you WILL need jumpers and a coat for the winter, but the amount of rain and the weather does vary from place to place. Most Brits will carry an umbrella and an extra layer with them at all times no matter how nice the weather is. (I certainly do!)
It always rains in the UK and people saying it doesn't rain much in London are deluding themselves. It rains less than in the north and Wales but it still rains a lot.

http://www.weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainy-days,London,United-Kingdom
Reply 14
Original post by littleone271
In the autumn/winter months you should expect a fair amount of rain! It's very erratic though so sometimes you'll have a dry week and other times it'll rain pretty much non stop for days on end. I would recommend you get a warm, thick, waterproof coat with a hood and make sure its big enough so you can layer up the jumpers underneath.

Another option is to buy a thin rain coat and hoodies (hooded sweatshirts) that can be worn underneath for the winter and you can wear the rain coat by itself when it's raining but not cold.

The temperature does quite often drop below freezing here, particularly in the evenings but the temperatures and the amount of rain both depend on where in the UK you are going as the South of England isn't going to be quite as cold or wet as the North. It's not like Russia though I mean the temperatures don't normally drop below -10 south of Scotland. I'd say you'd feel the cold moreso than us though as you won't be used to it so I recommend hoodies! A good sturdy umbrella is also a good idea.

Where in the UK are you moving to?

I'm moving to Colchester.

I was planning to get at least one thick, durable coat and perhaps a a few more jumpers. I have more hoodies then I can actually wear, so there'll be no need to buy anymore. The warmest piece of winter clothing that I currently own is a classic sheepskin pilot leather jacket with a fur collar. And I don't even get to wear it that often.

It rains very rarely here, so I don't own any shoes or boots appropriate for winter downpours. What kind of trousers do you usually wear? I can comfortably wear jeans here all year long.
Original post by King Leonidas
Nah, it doesn't rain that much, you should be ok with t-shirts and shorts for most of the year.

:rofl:

Writing from a windswept rainy campus, somewhere in London. :cool:
I'm moving to Colchester.

I was planning to get at least one thick, durable coat and perhaps a a few more jumpers. I have more hoodies then I can actually wear, so there'll be no need to buy anymore. The warmest piece of winter clothing that I currently own is a classic sheepskin pilot leather jacket with a fur collar. And I don't even get to wear it that often.

It rains very rarely here, so I don't own any shoes or boots appropriate for winter downpours. What kind of trousers do you usually wear? I can comfortably wear jeans here all year long.

I think your biggest problem will be the cold, it will take some getting used to our winters after your balmy, blissful Mediterranean locale. :biggrin:

Colchester, being in the corner of the SE of England, is generally a little warmer than the rest of the country, but that advantage is offset by being close to the North Sea, which is famously stormy, cold, wet and generally obnoxious. Sorry! :teehee:
Original post by r-t

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wth, what part of London are you from? haha.
Reply 18
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think your biggest problem will be the cold, it will take some getting used to our winters after your balmy, blissful Mediterranean locale. :biggrin:

Colchester, being in the corner of the SE of England, is generally a little warmer than the rest of the country, but that advantage is offset by being close to the North Sea, which is famously stormy, cold, wet and generally obnoxious. Sorry! :teehee:

Crisp stormy gales, obnoxious drizzles and winters so cold I'll probably need to ensure my fingers and toes. Yay! Add a subtle dose of cynicism and sarcasm and there, that's Britain. Can't wait!!

(I'm done for, ain't I?)
Crisp stormy gales, obnoxious drizzles and winters so cold I'll probably need to ensure my fingers and toes. Yay! Add a subtle dose of cynicism and sarcasm and there, that's Britain. Can't wait!!

(I'm done for, ain't I?)

I would say you will probably make it, but may need food parcels sending from home with fine wine, olive oil, local meats, fruits, etc.

Also spend most of your time indoors, at least to start with. :teehee:

Latest