The Student Room Group

A levels at 18?

Hi, im about to finish my college course, and have decided that next year I would like to do my A levels however after searching on the internet my options are limited. Im not sure if I can go to my old high school to do them and there are no colleges that do A levels, am i fked?
There are colleges that teach A levels
Reply 2
theres plenty of 6th form colleges that do A-levels where do you live?
what college course have to just finished? do you mean start as , as they only get government funding for level 3s apart from access course until you are 18 but you can do an a level in a year in some places
Reply 4
I will be 18 when I start, but I dont mind paying for the course. My biggest problem is finding 6th form college or anywhere that do a level courses. The closest one I have see is about an hour away :frown:
Reply 5
I started at 18 in September 2014, after finishing a different level 3 course. I had to find a college that would enrol me some colleges/sixth forms I went to denied me because I wasn't 16.

I did not have to pay a thing, and as far as I'm aware I won't have to pay anything next year because I was accepted onto a two-year course.
Reply 6
Original post by theoinkk
I started at 18 in September 2014, after finishing a different level 3 course. I had to find a college that would enrol me some colleges/sixth forms I went to denied me because I wasn't 16.

I did not have to pay a thing, and as far as I'm aware I won't have to pay anything next year because I was accepted onto a two-year course.

Thanks for your input, how did you eventually find a place that would enrol you? There are very few places in my area :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by PurpleAki
Thanks for your input, how did you eventually find a place that would enrol you? There are very few places in my area :s-smilie:

Yeah, I have to travel over an hour to get to my college. I tried looking at the bigger colleges which offer various different courses (different levels, BTEC/A-levels, etc.) as they're most likely to accept you.

I just went around all the colleges that I could get to and I found 1 that would enrol me.

Sixth forms where they only offer A-levels are very reluctant to have you enrolled if you're not 16.
Reply 8
Original post by theoinkk
Yeah, I have to travel over an hour to get to my college. I tried looking at the bigger colleges which offer various different courses (different levels, BTEC/A-levels, etc.) as they're most likely to accept you.

I just went around all the colleges that I could get to and I found 1 that would enrol me.

Sixth forms where they only offer A-levels are very reluctant to have you enrolled if you're not 16.
Just had a look and the nearest one that do A levels would take me 2 hours to get too, looks like im fked :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by PurpleAki
Just had a look and the nearest one that do A levels would take me 2 hours to get too, looks like im fked :frown:

Someone has already mentioned this but you could self teach the A levels. Your only issue there would be finding a place to sit as an external/private candidate (be prepared to pay). Exam boards display this information on their websites.

You could always say to sixth form centres that the nearest place that would accept you would be 2 hours away and ask for an exception to their rules.

Worth a shot!

Quick Reply

Latest