The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Oxbridge & LSE - What are my chances?

Hey everyone!

Long time lurker here and I would just like to get your opinion on what my chances are for the postgraduate courses given my profile.

My profile is:

Currently studying Economics at a middle ranked uni (35-50). In my first year i got 82.5% Average, so a high first class. Second year I will also get around the 80% average mark (hopefully more, 80% is a relatively conservative estimate).

My best modules currently are Econometrics and Mathematical Economics (both A*, 90%+), which I believe will be the most important for the masters I want to apply to.

I also have relevant extracurriculars and work experience However, I believe they don't care as much about these for postgraduate applications (correct me if I'm wrong).

These are the courses I'm planning on applying to next fall :

Mphil Economcs - Cambridge
Mres Economics - Cambridge
Mphil Economics - Oxford
MSc Economics - LSE

Maybe also to a few others (Warwick, UCL, etc).

I would highly appreciate any feedback on what my chances are for the courses above and what I could do to improve my overall profile (GMAT, GRE?).

Merci.
(edited 8 years ago)
Bump!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Not an economist but as your grades are very high (how you can get 80%+ I have no idea!) you have a good chance. Combine that with good letters of recommendation and you have a competitive application

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, you have a good shot. Where you studied as an undergrad isn't relevant.
Original post by yabbayabba
Not an economist but as your grades are very high (how you can get 80%+ I have no idea!) you have a good chance. Combine that with good letters of recommendation and you have a competitive application

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Iamyourfather
Yes, you have a good shot. Where you studied as an undergrad isn't relevant.

Thank you for the replies, I hugely appreciate it.
Do you have any suggestions on how I could improve my chances further? Such as taking the GRE/GMAT for example?
Original post by DerpEconomist
Thank you for the replies, I hugely appreciate it.
Do you have any suggestions on how I could improve my chances further? Such as taking the GRE/GMAT for example?

Do they request you take these exams? If not then it won't make any difference to anything.
Original post by yabbayabba
Do they request you take these exams? If not then it won't make any difference to anything.

Some suggest taking it, however it is not mandatory for UK students.
Bump, any other opinions out there?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending