The Student Room Group

Statistics help? Decimal places

Ok so ive done a number of s1 ocr mei papers recently and when i get to the mark scheme after a paper, i do get answers right but i always get the answer to a different number of decimal places. Is there an easy way to know how many decimal places to go to as it differs for every question and will i get marked down based on this even if ive rounded correctly?

Thank you
Original post by liverpool2044
Ok so ive done a number of s1 ocr mei papers recently and when i get to the mark scheme after a paper, i do get answers right but i always get the answer to a different number of decimal places. Is there an easy way to know how many decimal places to go to as it differs for every question and will i get marked down based on this even if ive rounded correctly?

Thank you

For stats I always give answers to 4dp. It doesn't really matter, as long as you aren't too inaccurate (e.g. 1dp) or too accurate (i.e. 10dp).
Reply 2
I would say that you should think about this in terms of number of significant figures, rather than number of decimal places. They're not the same thing, with the former preferable.
Original post by akosdasd
I would say that you should think about this in terms of number of significant figures, rather than number of decimal places. They're not the same thing, with the former preferable.

I think OP is talking about probabilities, so in terms of number of decimal places is okay. Correct me if I'm wrong!
ok ill just do to 4 decimal places each time then! thanks

Quick Reply

Latest