Effect of Cold Temperatures on Bacteria Watch

ghostevasion
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys,
So I understand that a lower temperature decreases bacterial activity or even causes bacteria to become dormant, but why is this? I assume it's to do with enzyme activity within the cell but I can't structure how I would answer this kind of question at all... If anyone could help, that would be great!
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ghostevasion)
Hey guys,
So I understand that a lower temperature decreases bacterial activity or even causes bacteria to become dormant, but why is this? I assume it's to do with enzyme activity within the cell but I can't structure how I would answer this kind of question at all... If anyone could help, that would be great!
The bacteria has an optimal temperature for which it's metabolic functions can take place at a steady rate. Since it would deviate from it's optimal temperature, the cell would adapt to identifying it is outside of it's ideal temperature range. Some species would even remain dormant until more favourable temperatures/conditions are reached. A lower temperature would slow down cell metabolism and thus prolonging cell growth.
Kemics
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's not in the syllabus as far as I can see. But as I understand it bacteria arn't really capable of processing large molecules. They secret enzymes that break up larger molecules into smaller substances they can absorb. So I think the cold affects the enzymes secreted by bacteria which affects how much 'food' is available for them?

Be good if someone could confirm that?
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kemics)
It's not in the syllabus as far as I can see. But as I understand it bacteria arn't really capable of processing large molecules. They secret enzymes that break up larger molecules into smaller substances they can absorb. So I think the cold affects the enzymes secreted by bacteria which affects how much 'food' is available for them?

Be good if someone could confirm that?
It depends on what you mean by processing. Some of the larger macromolecules required for growth such as long carbohydrates have specific transport mechanisms for cellular uptake. These can be broken down into smaller chains which can then be metabolised. All of this occurs mostly within the cytoplasm, as far as I'm aware. Although it can depend entirely on the molecules and type of bacteria in question.

The cold doesn't affect how enzymes are produced or secreted, it may affect their gene expression through complex regulatory procedures, but it mainly affects enzyme kinetics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (67)
15.8%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (43)
10.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (80)
18.87%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.39%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.85%
How can I be the best version of myself? (127)
29.95%

Watched Threads