robthehero
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I originally applied for the Law LLB and I was accepted to Durham, Exeter and Glasgow. After doing some soul-searching, I decided that Law was not my calling and I decided to contact the Universities to ask for a course change.

I managed to change my course from the Law LLB to French&History at Durham (Conditional Offer) and International Relations&French at Exeter (Unconditional Offer). I was quite content with the courses, so I decided to go right ahead and firm Durham and put Exeter as my insurance choice. Durham took quite a while to change my course and I missed the registration deadline for an exam required to meet my conditions (I am an international student from the US). I contacted Durham, explaining the situation to them, and offered an alternate set of exams, but they refused to take them. So, Durham is now out of the question. :rolleyes:

After some more thinking, I decided that Exeter isn't the right choice for me either, and I would now like to apply for a degree at the University of Edinburgh through UCAS Extra. My question is: can I ask Exeter to reject me and release me into Extra? How do I go about doing that and what excuse should I give them? Thanks in advance.
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You have to call Exeter and ask you them to release you into extra and just explain that you had a change of heart. I did this and was released within less than a minute (from a different uni though) but you should be released within a day. However at this stage a lot of the places are filled especially at a uni like Edinburgh so call them beforehand to make sure that they are still considering applicants for your course before calling Exeter to be released. However it is still a risk as just because they've said they're still considering applicants doesn't guarantee you an offer. However I went through extra twice and received offers both times, if they are willing to consider you and you meet their entry requirements then you should stand a good chance and receive a response within a couple of days. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
robthehero
Rep:
?
(Original post by r-t)
You have to call Exeter and ask you them to release you into extra and just explain that you had a change of heart. I did this and was released within less than a minute (from a different uni though) but you should be released within a day. However at this stage a lot of the places are filled especially at a uni like Edinburgh so call them beforehand to make sure that they are still considering applicants for your course before calling Exeter to be released. However it is still a risk as just because they've said they're still considering applicants doesn't guarantee you an offer. However I went through extra twice and received offers both times, if they are willing to consider you and you meet their entry requirements then you should stand a good chance and receive a response within a couple of days. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much! I'm going to do just that. I sent them an email to see if they were considering applicants for the course of my choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
r-t
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by robthehero)
Thank you so much! I'm going to do just that. I sent them an email to see if they were considering applicants for the course of my choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try calling them if you can. You may have to wait several days to receive an email when really it's just a yes or no answer and time is not something you have haha. When calling them tell them your predicted grades and subjects aswell not just whether they have spaces or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
robthehero
Rep:
?
(Original post by r-t)
Try calling them if you can. You may have to wait several days to receive an email when really it's just a yes or no answer and time is not something you have haha. When calling them tell them your predicted grades and subjects aswell not just whether they have spaces or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got it! I'm going to call them tomorrow because of the 5-hour time difference between Edinburgh and the US. Do you know if it means anything if the course shows up as available through Extra on the UCAS course search?
r-t
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeh I meant tomorrow, it would be too late to call them in the UK aswell haha. With regards to the UCAS extra list, just because the uni is on there doesn't mean they'll have spaces. Some uni's do not remove their courses off the list once they're full so we have to check basically :/ haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.82%
Uncertainty around my education (80)
11.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (75)
10.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (91)
12.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.4%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (40)
5.68%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (76)
10.8%
Financial worries (44)
6.25%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (42)
5.97%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (23)
3.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (68)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (55)
7.81%

Watched Threads