Liv934
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about what might come up in this years AS English lit exam?
I'm doing Tennyson poetry for section a and The Great Gatsby, The Secret Scripture and Frost poems for section b!
Anyone doing the same texts and want to share their thoughts??
Xenon1305
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Liv934)
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about what might come up in this years AS English lit exam?
I'm doing Tennyson poetry for section a and The Great Gatsby, The Secret Scripture and Frost poems for section b!

Im doing Gatsby for A, Browning, Rossetti and Hosseini for section B...

Have no idea what might come in !
Royo95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys,

I'm studying AS English Lit in September 2015.

I was wondering if you could give me any general advice on how to prepare and what is expected of a student?

I haven't been told what exam boards im doing yet but any thing I could do until I find out would be great.
BOWE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have done a practice of the kite runner for section B, on a question about foreshadowing, if I post it could somebody please give me some feedback?
Liv934
Rep:
?
(Original post by BOWE)
I have done a practice of the kite runner for section B, on a question about foreshadowing, if I post it could somebody please give me some feedback?
Definitely! Feel free to post it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Liv934
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xenon1305)
Im doing Gatsby for A, Browning, Rossetti and Hosseini for section B...

Have no idea what might come in !
I see! Any revision tips or good websites for Gatsby revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Liv934
Rep:
?
(Original post by Royo95)
Hey guys,

I'm studying AS English Lit in September 2015.

I was wondering if you could give me any general advice on how to prepare and what is expected of a student?

I haven't been told what exam boards im doing yet but any thing I could do until I find out would be great.
My advice is start revision early and make sure you know stuff on narrative, language, form and structure, then just practice loads of questions!! I'm retaking the exam this time and I regret not doing enough practice papers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
BOWE
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you so much!

'Write about the significance of foreshadowing...' :

Foreshadowing is a prominent feature throughout Hosseini's novel 'The Kite Runner'. The author uses it to convey circularity within this tale of atonement. The powerful final lines in chapter five comment on the irony of Hassan having his cleft lip fixed within the same season he 'stopped smiling'. This foreshadows the emotional damage caused by the horrific sexual assault inflicted upon eleven year old Hassan. The setting of this disturbing act had already been referenced in chapter one, as Amir describes his torment as metaphorically 'peaking into that alley'. The author's choice to use foreshadowing throughout the narrative reflects his intradiegetic narrator's state of mind when writing this in December 2001. This is an emotionally charged narrative that is presented through clues and ambiguous comments, ultimately conveying the difficulty Amir is having in opening up too quickly about his past, and thus creating pathos for the narrator.

Foreshadowing is not limited to Amir's presentation of events, but also the order or repetition of the events themselves and use of leitmotifs, such as the encounter between Assef and Hassan's slingshot. Hassan threatens to turn Assef into 'one eyed' Assef, saving himself and Amir from the bullies. This foreshadows Hassan's son, Sohrab, firing the slingshot and causing a 'brass ball' to become 'stuck in his empty eye socket' during Amir and Assef's fight in chapter 22. This creates circularity and fulfillment of Hassan's threat, conveying his honesty and bravery. This fight between Assef and Amir as adults had been foreshadowed in chapter five . Assef tells Amir that ' this isn't the end for me and you...i'll make you fight me one on one'- proleptically summarising the climactic events of chapter twenty two.

These examples are not limited to events and narrative, but also what initially appears as insignificant dialogue, such as Amir's comment as a child to Baba in chapter 3 claiming he had 'cancer' as a cry for attention. This foreshadows Baba's cancer that eventually kills him, identifying the motif of illness early on. In all these examples, Hosseini creates second chances for Amir to alter his actions through repetition. This is significant as it provides Amir with an opportunity for redemption, and a 'chance to be good again', which is the over arching theme and novel's driving force.
BOWE
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

From other discussions i've seen predictions of foreshadowing , characters and there relationships , and endings .
uglyula
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is anyone doing Browning for Section A? What are the predictionsxx
Royo95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My advice is start revision early and make sure you know stuff on narrative, language, form and structure, then just practice loads of questions!! I'm retaking the exam this time and I regret not doing enough practice papers!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are there any resources that can help me with those things because it sounds like you have to bring in some A-level english language into English Literature (even though their seperate A levels)

or am I mistaken?
Danielleegolds
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No we don't use any English Language techniques in our writing as only a couple of people in our class actually do the A level
Royo95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Danielleegolds)
No we don't use any English Language techniques in our writing as only a couple of people in our class actually do the A level
Ok well thanks for the response
BOWE
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definitely! Feel free to post it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much!

'Write about the significance of foreshadowing...' :

Foreshadowing is a prominent feature throughout Hosseini's novel 'The Kite Runner'. The author uses it to convey circularity within this tale of atonement. The powerful final lines in chapter five comment on the irony of Hassan having his cleft lip fixed within the same season he 'stopped smiling'. This foreshadows the emotional damage caused by the horrific sexual assault inflicted upon eleven year old Hassan. The setting of this disturbing act had already been referenced in chapter one, as Amir describes his torment as metaphorically 'peaking into that alley'. The author's choice to use foreshadowing throughout the narrative reflects his intradiegetic narrator's state of mind when writing this in December 2001. This is an emotionally charged narrative that is presented through clues and ambiguous comments, ultimately conveying the difficulty Amir is having in opening up too quickly about his past, and thus creating pathos for the narrator.

Foreshadowing is not limited to Amir's presentation of events, but also the order or repetition of the events themselves and use of leitmotifs, such as the encounter between Assef and Hassan's slingshot. Hassan threatens to turn Assef into 'one eyed' Assef, saving himself and Amir from the bullies. This foreshadows Hassan's son, Sohrab, firing the slingshot and causing a 'brass ball' to become 'stuck in his empty eye socket' during Amir and Assef's fight in chapter 22. This creates circularity and fulfillment of Hassan's threat, conveying his honesty and bravery. This fight between Assef and Amir as adults had been foreshadowed in chapter five . Assef tells Amir that ' this isn't the end for me and you...i'll make you fight me one on one'- proleptically summarising the climactic events of chapter twenty two.

These examples are not limited to events and narrative, but also what initially appears as insignificant dialogue, such as Amir's comment as a child to Baba in chapter 3 claiming he had 'cancer' as a cry for attention. This foreshadows Baba's cancer that eventually kills him, identifying the motif of illness early on. In all these examples, Hosseini creates second chances for Amir to alter his actions through repetition. This is significant as it provides Amir with an opportunity for redemption, and a 'chance to be good again', which is the over arching theme and novel's driving force.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (317)
65.77%
No (165)
34.23%

Watched Threads