The Student Room Group

It feels like christmas has been ruined

Last night I was at a friends chistmas party. I was really enjoying myself but that came to and end when my friends mum, who was drunk, made an extremely hurtfull personal comment about me. I wont repeat what she said but it was completely pointless. This morning it was the first thing I thought about, even before I realised it was christmas.
I am usually quite thick skinned and can deal with this sort of thing. But there was something in what happend that really got to me. I also rememberd being hit aswell, im not sure if it was just a playfull slap or if she really went for it as I was quite drunk, but I was actualy physically knocked by it.
I want to tell her that what she did was unacceptable and that I dont know how she can crisitise me when a grown woman, mother of small children gets completely uncontrolably drunk (she was also very bad last year too, but atleast then she kept it to embarassing herself). Then again she must have spent a lot of money on doing the party, and yes she would have been out of character due to the alochol.

I am trying my best to forget about it but its put a real downer on the start of christmas and needed to tell someone. (and by the way, it makes me feel a bit better but i was sick all over the wall of her house which she can look foward to cleaning up this morning!)

Scroll to see replies

People do act out of character and say anything when extremely drunk plus she probably didn't even know who she was talking to because she was so sh**faced so try not to let it get you down.
Open some presents if you haven't done so already and eat some mince pies and enjoy christmas day:smile: then if it continues to bother you try talking to your friend about it tomorrow.
Reply 2
What do you want us to say? I've been insulted before personally. Get over it, people are dying today in Africa ffs. Try and get a little perspective.

Bring on the neg rep.
I understand what you mean, sometimes its just like the unexpected ones that knock you the most! Hope you have a better Christmas day though!
Reply 4
Sithius
What do you want us to say? I've been insulted before personally. Get over it, people are dying today in Africa ffs. Try and get a little perspective.

Bring on the neg rep.

You are right I know, but I just wanted to tell someone.

I think saying I should get negative rep for saying im feeling down when it seems everyone else is having a great time (though I know for a fact many others have bigger more important issues) is a bit harsh.

I dont want this to turn into a flame war, and no im not going to neg you for saying that. Have a nice christmas.
He said that because he expects neg rep from the sensitive souls of TSR for his comments rather than wishing it on you.

I wouldn't worry about the woman's comments, some people really shouldn't be allowed to drink because they can't handle it. She clearly falls into this category. Forget about it and have a good Christmas!
Reply 6
Sithius

Bring on the neg rep.
there are people dying everywhere. there are people in Africa who respect, celebrate and enjoy Christmas far more than we ever could.
Some parts of Africa are truly awful, but some parts, parts you wouldnt imagine, have a community spirit, gratitude, hope and ambition that most in the West can only dream of.

-Just to add to your perspective, which is frankly just as skewed as the OPs.

OP- accept that some people can never know you, that not everyone can like you, that she was drunk and maybe didnt mean it, that you're bigger than that... try to ignore it.
Reply 7
Sithius
Get over it, people are dying today in Africa ffs. Try and get a little perspective.

Ah, so unless you're dying in Africa, your problems mean absolutely nothing? Hokey kokey then.

OP, try not to dwell on it too much. People tend to say things they don't mean when they're drunk. Try to find a way to cheer yourself up, because it's Christmas, and all who are fortunate enough to be able enjoy themselves today should be enjoying themselves. Be happy! HAPPY~! Happy is good. Yes.

*gives a Christmas hug* :biggrin:
Reply 8
I love how you threw up over her wall!

i think it was highly insensitive to say that there are people dying in Africa. Ok, so our problems may seem trivial in comparison, but it's all relative.

To the OP - people do say silly things when they're drunk, especially at Christmas. What she said was out of order, but unfortunately it's the way of the world. You shouldn't let it ruin your christmas cos she was heartless whilst drunk.
Just concentrate on the fact you were sick on her wall! She was drunk, ignore her. She is probably far far more embarassed by the fact she was **** faced in front of all her child's friends, than you are about what she said. She was probably forgotten she said it.
Reply 10
Anonymous
You are right I know, but I just wanted to tell someone.

I think saying I should get negative rep for saying im feeling down when it seems everyone else is having a great time (though I know for a fact many others have bigger more important issues) is a bit harsh.

I dont want this to turn into a flame war, and no im not going to neg you for saying that. Have a nice christmas.

Come again? I was saying bring on the neg rep, as in 'Neg rep me people because you disagree' because that's what I expect...
Reply 11
Saffie
there are people dying everywhere. there are people in Africa who respect, celebrate and enjoy Christmas far more than we ever could.
Some parts of Africa are truly awful, but some parts, parts you wouldnt imagine, have a community spirit, gratitude, hope and ambition that most in the West can only dream of.

-Just to add to your perspective, which is frankly just as skewed as the OPs.

OP- accept that some people can never know you, that not everyone can like you, that she was drunk and maybe didnt mean it, that you're bigger than that... try to ignore it.

pmsl, at what point did I bring up their attitude to life? It doesn't take away the fact that people are dying over there. Who is 'skewed' now eh? :smile: :smile:

Wasabi Tea
Ah, so unless you're dying in Africa, your problems mean absolutely nothing? Hokey kokey then.

OP, try not to dwell on it too much. People tend to say things they don't mean when they're drunk. Try to find a way to cheer yourself up, because it's Christmas, and all who are fortunate enough to be able enjoy themselves today should be enjoying themselves. Be happy! HAPPY~! Happy is good. Yes.

*gives a Christmas hug* :biggrin:

I'm only trying to point out that if the OP decides to get a new perspective on things, these supposed 'problems' won't seem so bad, which is true. :smile:

Merry Christmas :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 12
Sithius
pmsl, at what point did I bring up their attitude to life? It doesn't take away the fact that people are dying over there. Who is 'skewed' now eh? :smile: :smile:

I'm only trying to point out that if the OP decides to get a new perspective on things, these supposed 'problems' won't seem so bad, which is true. :smile:

Merry Christmas :biggrin: :biggrin:

People are dying here too! Of cancer, of horrible diseases.

Why is the african comment at all relevant? Its like saying "damnit i better not be upset about my mum falling out a tree and breaking her leg because of all those people who died in 9/11. Completely unconnected scenarios! :smile:

Those people in africa wouldnt feel so bad if they knew about the sex slaves in thailand...and the chain of events goes on. Tis called life matey
Sithius

Bring on the neg rep.

Great advice there. The ordasity to try and put things in perspective by mentioning Africa, yet the fear receiving a negative reputation on some internet forum. You're a prize ******
Reply 14
Ok this is stupid. Your making a post about what a drunk woman said to you and you don't tell us what she said? :rolleyes: WTF are we supposed to say? Get over it?
Reply 15
samba
People are dying here too! Of cancer, of horrible diseases.

Why is the african comment at all relevant? Its like saying "damnit i better not be upset about my mum falling out a tree and breaking her leg because of all those people who died in 9/11. Completely unconnected scenarios! :smile:

Those people in africa wouldnt feel so bad if they knew about the sex slaves in thailand...and the chain of events goes on. Tis called life matey

Wow, you really are missing the points of my posts. I'm not saying lose all emotions. I'm simply trying to point out, as I've done before but you've failed to understand, that by opening up your perspective on the world 'problems' such as the original posters seem pretty damn minute in comparison. Why are you comparing someones mother breaking their leg to a personal insult by a stranger? Hardly the same thing is it now. Please apply some better reasoning before posting in future. :smile: :smile:
Reply 16
Ole_Gunner
Great advice there. The ordasity to try and put things in perspective by mentioning Africa, yet the fear receiving a negative reputation on some internet forum. You're a prize ******

Heh, who said it was fear? In your mind kid.
Sithius

Bring on the neg rep.

:rolleyes: Cause Africa is the only place where people are suffering.
Reply 18
ComebackQueen
:rolleyes: Cause Africa is the only place where people are suffering.

Ever heard of the use of examples? Or would you prefer me to list every third world country? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Reply 19
Depends on what she said, if it was bad you need to tell her. If it was silly rise above her jealousy and ignore it.

Latest

Trending

Trending