Why is pH value a good measurement of enzyme activity?

Watch this thread
brooklyniona
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
My class recently did an experiment of the effect of using immobilised or free enzymes (lipase) on milk. We did a pH test to dictate the activity of the enzyme. The lower the pH (and the faster this pH drop), the higher the enzyme activity. Why is this? Why would it become more acidic? Thanks
BaeBlade
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by brooklyniona)
My class recently did an experiment of the effect of using immobilised or free enzymes (lipase) on milk. We did a pH test to dictate the activity of the enzyme. The lower the pH (and the faster this pH drop), the higher the enzyme activity. Why is this? Why would it become more acidic? Thanks
Some enzymes have optimum pHs that are acidic, some have optimum pHs which are basic, it's all to do with how the enzyme and the substrate interact in the enzyme-substrate complex on the active site.

Perhaps then, from your data, the optimum pH for the ligase was suited to more acidic conditions.
brooklyniona
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
No I had an immobilised lipase enzyme acting upon milk as well as a free lipase enzyme working on milk. So exact same enzymes, just different structure. The free enzyme's ph dropped more quickly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads