Kammy7103
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am considering, well actually my UCAS app is awaiting completion, starting a course at Uni in September. Whilst I am excited about the prospect, I am also nervous about taking this leap of faith to better myself and provide a better future for my daughter. As a single parent, life can be difficult managing on the low wage that admin offers. Am I making the right decision??? Positive and helpful comments only please, I am delicate
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My first thought is that you may be too late for this September. The UCAS deadline for standard admissions was January. The Student Finance deadline for having finance in place by the start of your course, is the end of this month.

As a general comment (I'm single & childless though), I started uni when I was 44 and I loved it.
username1374571
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LisaKamara1971)
I am considering, well actually my UCAS app is awaiting completion, starting a course at Uni in September. Whilst I am excited about the prospect, I am also nervous about taking this leap of faith to better myself and provide a better future for my daughter. As a single parent, life can be difficult managing on the low wage that admin offers. Am I making the right decision??? Positive and helpful comments only please, I am delicate

You can do it! I am a lone parent - and yes you are making the right decision! What a great role model you will be to your daughter :-)
Kammy7103
Rep:
?
(Original post by IonaBubble)
You can do it! I am a lone parent - and yes you are making the right decision! What a great role model you will be to your daughter :-)
Thank you IonaBubble, I am doing my app at the minute, got to get my skates on and sooooooo excited, just hope they offer me a place
username1374571
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you IonaBubble, I am doing my app at the minute, got to get my skates on and sooooooo excited, just hope they offer me a place
Keep positive in your personal statement, talk about your experience and skills and what you can achieve! Good luck! :-)
Jocoops
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi I'm 45 and a single parent. I sent my ucas application last week. (Late I know). I have been invited to an interview next week, I'm hoping to study Primary Education with foundation. I'm so nervous.

You're never too old!!!
username1374571
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jocoops)
Hi I'm 45 and a single parent. I sent my ucas application last week. (Late I know). I have been invited to an interview next week, I'm hoping to study Primary Education with foundation. I'm so nervous.

You're never too old!!!
Good luck on your interview! Where have you applied for primary education?
Milf_Hunter
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How you doin' ??
Jocoops
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you, Durham university. Where are you applying?
username1374571
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jocoops)
Thank you, Durham university. Where are you applying?
AT MMU :-)
Kammy7103
Rep:
?
(Original post by IonaBubble)
Keep positive in your personal statement, talk about your experience and skills and what you can achieve! Good luck! :-)
Ive had a conditional offer subject to a successful APEL process, do you know what this is??
DanielSingleton
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kammy7103)
Ive had a conditional offer subject to a successful APEL process, do you know what this is??
Hi Kammy.

It stands for Accreditation of Prior Experience and Learning, I had to do one as part of my conditional offer from Salford University. Here is a little excerpt from the covering letter I received, that may help:

APEL is a method of assessment used with applicants who fall short of the standard entry requirements, but have relevant industry qualifications and / or experience. This process offers a unique opportunity for these individuals to demonstrate their academic potential.
The assessments vary from course to course, mine involved researching for and then writing an evidence based, 2000 word, fully referenced and cited essay.

Fortunately they sent me a book explaining how to correctly reference and cite your evidence, which was a good job because I wouldn't have had a clue without it lol.
Kammy7103
Rep:
?
(Original post by DanielSingleton)
Hi Kammy.

It stands for Accreditation of Prior Experience and Learning, I had to do one as part of my conditional offer from Salford University. Here is a little excerpt from the covering letter I received, that may help:

The assessments vary from course to course, mine involved researching for and then writing an evidence based, 2000 word, fully referenced and cited essay.

Fortunately they sent me a book explaining how to correctly reference and cite your evidence, which was a good job because I wouldn't have had a clue without it lol.
Thanks Daniel, this has put my mind at ease
Seiza
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kammy7103)
Good afternoon,

Congratulations on the offer and deciding to to actively change your future prospects. What type of course have you decided on? Hopes for the future?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (23)
13.37%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.98%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.23%
I need help with my personal statement (72)
41.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (40)
23.26%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.74%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
7.56%

Watched Threads