The Student Room Group

Best way to learn: "Thrown in the deep end" or "slow and steady"?

Hi guys,

I've done 4 hours of practice now (3 lessons) and i'm slightly worried about my progress.

I say slightly because I do feel like after each lesson I have learned something new, and worked on what I've learned the previous week. My instructor is really friendly and patient, which seems rare when you read some of the horror stories. He is with LDC and so follows the handbook provided quite efficiently - After 4 hours I can start up confidently, change gears efficiently, and now I can steer using the push pull method. Today I drove in a built-up area for the first time (before that it was back and forth on a country road). This was also my first time turning the car onto a side/main road.

I only ask this question because I was speaking to my twin brother who passed his test six months ago, who was shocked at how little I had done compared to himself when he started driving. He took 2 hour lessons, and he said that by his second lesson (so his 3rd/4th hour) he was driving for miles around the local villages, and he also drove home himself AND turned the car around at the cul-de-sac next to our house (it is a VERY tight squeeze to move a car there) I couldn't believe it...!

After reading stories of some other people's first few lessons on this forum, I'm starting to feel slightly envious that I've not gotten this far yet.

So far it seems like some instructors want you to have the knowledge first and slowly put that into practice, and others just want you to learn through practice alone (trial and error style). What do you guys think? In your experience, which type of tutoring do you prefer?
Original post by KatMizzle
Hi guys,

I've done 4 hours of practice now (3 lessons) and i'm slightly worried about my progress.

I say slightly because I do feel like after each lesson I have learned something new, and worked on what I've learned the previous week. My instructor is really friendly and patient, which seems rare when you read some of the horror stories. He is with LDC and so follows the handbook provided quite efficiently - After 4 hours I can start up confidently, change gears efficiently, and now I can steer using the push pull method. Today I drove in a built-up area for the first time (before that it was back and forth on a country road). This was also my first time turning the car onto a side/main road.

I only ask this question because I was speaking to my twin brother who passed his test six months ago, who was shocked at how little I had done compared to himself when he started driving. He took 2 hour lessons, and he said that by his second lesson (so his 3rd/4th hour) he was driving for miles around the local villages, and he also drove home himself AND turned the car around at the cul-de-sac next to our house (it is a VERY tight squeeze to move a car there) I couldn't believe it...!

After reading stories of some other people's first few lessons on this forum, I'm starting to feel slightly envious that I've not gotten this far yet.

So far it seems like some instructors want you to have the knowledge first and slowly put that into practice, and others just want you to learn through practice alone (trial and error style). What do you guys think? In your experience, which type of tutoring do you prefer?

Put this in context to me. I passed after sixty hours ish second time, was on main roads after 9 hours and first roundabout at 20hours then manoeuvre 20-30 before finally getting into test centre roads lol. It got to the point when he gave me lessons for free because I had been with him for so many hours
Reply 2
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Put this in context to me. I passed after sixty hours ish second time, was on main roads after 9 hours and first roundabout at 20hours then manoeuvre 20-30 before finally getting into test centre roads lol. It got to the point when he gave me lessons for free because I had been with him for so many hours

That's actually shocking though! Did your instructor have no structure to your lessons? With LDC I should "apparently" be test ready by 30 lessons. Their feedback, my instructor's also, seems good though, and i know a few people who have gone with this particular guy.

My brother said he needed 60 hours or something before he sat his test also, but for some reason he was thrown in faster than yourself! But good on you getting lessons for free haha :tongue:
Some instructors will allow you to progress at different rates, regardless of you're ability.
I got through 3 instructors in the 8 hours it took me to pass my test and the last one was adamant I was going to fail, which goes to show you know you're ability much better than they do
Reply 4
Depends who you are. Confident people jump in at the deep end, others take their time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
It depends on the person. My first instructor wanted to teach me everything slowly and it was starting to get really annoying because I didn't feel like I was even learning how to drive and we were literally doing the same thing over and over again. I ended up getting rid of him and got a better instructor who threw me into the deep end more. I learned so much faster and learned something useful for my test every lesson, I ended up passing first time with her and have been a confident driver ever since I passed.

I don't think there's much to worry about if your first few lessons are slow - some instructors want to teach the basics of driving thoroughly before progressing into the harder stuff, which is understandable. If, however, you start to feel like you're not really progressing and that your instructor isn't really challenging you then maybe it might be best to find a different instructor after around 10 hours of lessons.
Reply 6
That is rather worrying that your instructor took four hours to do some basic things. I'm like your brother, my instructor got me in the car, asked me if I knew what everything was (eg. steering wheel which apparently some instructors take great time talking about) and said go. In my first lesson (two hours long) I had completed mini roundabouts, roundabouts, crossing traffic on main road, pulling on main road, reverse around corners etc. (I had no prior road experience, only changing gears in a car park for about an hour)

Passed first time with about 25-30 hours with the same guy. He was with BSM and only used the handbook for the pictures on road positioning for things like reverse around a corner.
I think it depends on the instructor. I went through three of them and my third was the best. My first instructor was with BSM and she was an absolute joke in hindsight, she took a whole 2 hour lesson telling me about parts of the car and showing me pictures/diagrams of cars on the road - the diagrams were all stuck on a magnetic board and she got me to place little 'car' magnets on places for different things such as safe places to park etc. I know they have to ascertain your understanding but 2 hours of that is ridiculous.

I did about 10 mins of driving after 4 hours with her and once I'd got to about 30 hrs we still hadn't even done roundabouts and she kept pushing my test further back each time even though I was on target with everything we'd covered. She was just dragging everything out - obviously for my money and she dented my confidence so I actually asked for a new instructor in an automatic instead of manual.
My second instructor was fine but they took me back to basics which felt like a massive step back and I decided I didn't want to pass in an automatic because I knew I was good enough to drive a manual.

So I changed to a different driving school and took a fast track course with a highly recommended instructor. My instructor was confident enough to let me show them what I could do and they totally restored my confidence.
He really pushed me each lesson, was patient, encouraging and super positive and whenever I was lacking confidence in my decisions he would literally stop the car and give me a motivational talk whereas my first instructor actually swore to herself, huffed and looked away if I did something wrong and would cut lessons short when her patience ran out. I don't know why I put up with her, haha!

Personally, it totally depends on the instructor and their attitude. It doesn't matter what your ability level is - a good instructor should push you to make you a confident driver. My second instructor was okay but I don't think I would have passed had I stuck with him because he was quietly spoken and not very motivational. I think you need a confident and motivational instructor who pushes you and build up your belief in your abilities - which is exactly what my 3rd instructor was like.

I'd recommend a fast track course because you and your instructor both know how long you have to get up to standard and you are working to a deadline - it's like driving boot camp. I preferred being pushed and having my confidence bolstered than taking things lesson by lesson - it was too wishy washy and there was no sense of a deadline. Also, you know exactly how much money you're going to pay with a fast track course - whereas as if you take 20/30 lessons with BSM/AA for example, they're more than likely to say ''oh I think you're going to need more'' even when you're fully capable - they seem to put your confidence down to make more money out of you - but that's just my opinion. Edit: I passed first time at the end of my fast track course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
The more you practice the better you will be so do as many lessons as soon as possible, time/money allowing.

I did 24 hours over 4 weeks so on average 3 x 2hr lessons a week. You really shouldnt be doing less than 2 hr lessons.

After maybe 30 mins going over what everything was in the car I was driving in the first lesson. You should be driving ASAP, thats how you will learn.

Passed first time by the way.
Original post by KatMizzle
Hi guys,

After three hours of lessons, making progress in each lesson, I wouldn't worry too much.

It might be worth speaking to your instructor during the next lesson, and state you want to drive a bit further next time. I think seeing how he responds to this discussion is key. He may also feel you are a bit nervous about certain things and not want to push you too much out of your comfort zone.

To be fair, even if an instructor is pushing you harder, I don't think they should be allowing you to learn via trial and error as such- and error in a car can have pretty serious consequences.

I also think you do learn faster if you have 2 hour lessons- can you book some longer slots?
Reply 10
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito

I also think you do learn faster if you have 2 hour lessons- can you book some longer slots?

Very much this. By the time you drive over to where you want to learn and got ready it is quite a large chunk of your lesson. As well as returning. I went from 1 hour lessons to 1.5-2 hours lessons and my driving got better as a result. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending