How to pick A-levels if my school wont timetable it?

Watch this thread
selenacxoxo
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
For my A-levels I decided to pick maths, physics, chemistry and history, however, the head of sixth form said I would not be able to do chemistry and history because they are both on the same day which means they cant timetable it. That means I have to drop either chemistry or history.
Its too late to apply for other sixth forms now, which means I have to chose.
I was wondering if I could do something like teach myself history A-level. I'm pretty motivated and self-reliant. (I had to teach myself the entire core chemistry course in year 9 due to a pretty bad teacher/messing around in class, and came out with an A*)
Would they let a 16-year old teach themselves an A-level?
If they cant, I have my back-up A-level, which is biology but I think I'd prefer to do history. Would it be difficult for me to teach myself the A-level? And how would I do coursework?
Covington4
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by selenacxoxo)
For my A-levels I decided to pick maths, physics, chemistry and history, however, the head of sixth form said I would not be able to do chemistry and history because they are both on the same day which means they cant timetable it. That means I have to drop either chemistry or history.
Its too late to apply for other sixth forms now, which means I have to chose.
I was wondering if I could do something like teach myself history A-level. I'm pretty motivated and self-reliant. (I had to teach myself the entire core chemistry course in year 9 due to a pretty bad teacher/messing around in class, and came out with an A*)
Would they let a 16-year old teach themselves an A-level?
If they cant, I have my back-up A-level, which is biology but I think I'd prefer to do history. Would it be difficult for me to teach myself the A-level? And how would I do coursework?
Is there any way the school will enter you for the history exams? And you can try and self teach and ask the history teachers at the sixth form to mark your essays? I am thinking history would be easier to self teach as Chemistry has coursework, but due to the new changes i dont know if chemistry will have coursework next year.. i know OCR are scrapping it but I dont know about other exam boards. Plus i think if they let you self teach they will make you do an extra A level as you are expected to do a certain amount of hours by law I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.58%
The paper was reasonable (194)
48.74%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
25.13%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.55%

Watched Threads