The Student Room Group

as level practical

If you have a question that asks you according to the task 2 for example, how can you confirm that lets say iodine is present you where suppose to write a yellow precipitate in task 2 but you didn't write that. How do you answer that? You write the correct answer or the one you got on your experiment? HELP!:confused:
Original post by langa
If you have a question that asks you according to the task 2 for example, how can you confirm that lets say iodine is present you where suppose to write a yellow precipitate in task 2 but you didn't write that. How do you answer that? You write the correct answer or the one you got on your experiment? HELP!:confused:

Correct answer unless it really didn't look yellow, then it could be cream and be bromine and if your really unlucky it could be white and be chlorine. So try to remember what it actually looked like!
Reply 2
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Correct answer unless it really didn't look yellow, then it could be cream and be bromine and if your really unlucky it could be white and be chlorine. So try to remember what it actually looked like!

Ohh thanks you don't know how confused I was:-D
Original post by langa
Ohh thanks you don't know how confused I was:-D

What did it look like?
Reply 4
I got white but I think I made a mistake as everyone else got yellow
Original post by langa

Was that cation tests? I remember doing that..
Reply 6
Original post by Uz25
Was that cation tests? I remember doing that..

It was for halogens I think and I'm writing the paper tomorrow
Original post by langa

The test for chloride, bromide and iodide ions involves observing the ppt formed when silver nitrate is added.

Chloride forms white, bromide forms cream and iodide forms yellow.

These colours are usually difficult to distinguish without comparison.

This, dilute and concentration ammonia is added to the ppt.

Chloride ppt (AgCl) dissolves in both dilute and conc. Bromide ppt (AgBr) dissolves only in conc. Iodide ppt (AgI) dissolves in neither.

Thus, if you had iodide ions, you would notice a yellow ppt in addition of silver nitrate which wouldn't dissolve on addition of dilute or conc ammonia.
Reply 8
arrgh,does anyone have an idea on how to revise the evaluatie section of the practicals,regarding volume of gas produced??
Reply 9
evaluative* OCR,AS Chemistry
Reply 10
Original post by Jglover653
The test for chloride, bromide and iodide ions involves observing the ppt formed when silver nitrate is added.

Chloride forms white, bromide forms cream and iodide forms yellow.

These colours are usually difficult to distinguish without comparison.

This, dilute and concentration ammonia is added to the ppt.

Chloride ppt (AgCl) dissolves in both dilute and conc. Bromide ppt (AgBr) dissolves only in conc. Iodide ppt (AgI) dissolves in neither.

Thus, if you had iodide ions, you would notice a yellow ppt in addition of silver nitrate which wouldn't dissolve on addition of dilute or conc ammonia.
thanks a million!
Original post by langa

Yep go with what they got, it was probably yellow :smile: good luck :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Yep go with what they got, it was probably yellow :smile: good luck :tongue:

Thank you :-D
Original post by langa
It was for halogens I think and I'm writing the paper tomorrow

Ohh good luck :wink:, what are you planning to do at uni and do u have a career in mind? :smile::smile:
guys any ideas for what solution A was?
Original post by Unhappy30
guys any ideas for what solution A was?

?? We can't answer that untill you fully explain; what experiment u conducted and the results u got etc.:wink::biggrin:
So we had to first add barium chloride to a bunch of solutions and then add dilute nitric acid. To my knowledge, only white precipitates were formed and at least one of them rdisolved one the acid. In both cases, anyone know which ions are responsible?
On test 2 it was a silver nitrate precipitate with one white that didnt redissolve in dilute nitric acid, one cream precip that would and one cream that wouldn't redissolve... Anyone have any clue what the ions responsible For such reactions might be? ������
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending