NYT Audition Monologue Help Watch

ObscuraCamera
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi! I'm considering an audition for the National Youth Theatre, and was wondering about the limits on audition pieces. What I really want to do is this speech from Wuthering Heights- it took me around a minute and a half to act out:
Catherine Earnshaw, From "Wuthering Heights""I cannot express it; but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is, or should be an existence of yours beyond you. What were the use of my creation if I were entirely contained here? My great miseries in this world have been Heathcliff's miseries, and I watched and felt each from the beginning; my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the Universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees — my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath — a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff — he's always, always in my mind — not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself — but as my own being — so, don't talk of our separation again — it is impracticable. "
I feel like it showcases my emotional diversity and that I understand the nuances of the piece well, so it would be appropriate for the audition.
however, I don't know if it's the acceptable length or even if it counts as a monologue as it is not from a play but from a book.
any guidance on this matter would be very much appreciated- from plain information to alternative suggestions for my piece if this isn't a good idea.
for background- I will be 15 going on 16 when I audition and am female.
thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (12)
26.09%
No (26)
56.52%
Don't know (8)
17.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise