The Student Room Group

How do you find a house in London starting September 2015?

I will be starting my second year at KCL in September this year and want to move out of my university halls and into a house with my current flatmates. However, because the housing market seems to move so quickly in London the September contracts won't come up until at least June/July. The problem with that is that none of us will be in London over the summer and I will be out of the country so I won't be able to do viewings during the summer. Where is the best place to get houses sorted early which are fairly central and not a fortune? Really don't want to live in halls again. Thanks in advance!
Hey Louise,

For the London market, you have a few options; Rightmove, the University of London Housing Association (http://housing.london.ac.uk/), and KCL's own accommodation team can help.
However, we would strongly advise you always view a place before you rent - so draw up a list of potentials and have your friends see if they can do a couple of days viewings.

Unfortunately, with the London Housing market as it is, affordable housing is in real short supply.

Which halls were you staying in before?
Marcia Road. Get in there early.
Reply 3
Original post by louisahm26
I will be starting my second year at KCL in September this year and want to move out of my university halls and into a house with my current flatmates. However, because the housing market seems to move so quickly in London the September contracts won't come up until at least June/July. The problem with that is that none of us will be in London over the summer and I will be out of the country so I won't be able to do viewings during the summer. Where is the best place to get houses sorted early which are fairly central and not a fortune? Really don't want to live in halls again. Thanks in advance!

i always found the Uni websites crap, they dont have all the properties available ( especially london) because they close off access.

the best site to use i found was Spareroom.com, probably has the most properties from london and let you contact the landlords directly
Erm I m at imperial and there are some agents that own properties close to our college, and they do offer 9 month contracts specifically catered to students. They prefer 9 month contracts for students because during summer, there are tourists in London who can afford much more.

Have a look around your university housing website and mass spam the agents to ask for 9 month contracts. ( I sent to like 26 agents at once, less than a quarter of them replied) Something would come up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending