The Student Room Group

Sociology GCSE exam 2015

What did people get last year in sociology last year (grade wise) and is there any advise people can give for gcse level, have my exam on monday (11th)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Same here, I would like to know as well
Original post by queenleelee
What did people get last year in sociology last year (grade wise) and is there any advise people can give for gcse level, have my exam on monday (11th)

I've moved your thread to a more suitable area where you will hopefully get more of a response :smile:
Reply 3
I'm also taking this exam... i'm with the exam board AQA, and I got an A in my mock.
What do you guys predict the 12 mark questions will be for unit 1??
Reply 4
how is everyone feeling about the sociology exam?, mine is on monday the 11th
Reply 5
Original post by deeetiaa
how is everyone feeling about the sociology exam?, mine is on monday the 11th

same.. do you do AQA?
Reply 6
yeah, i was just looking on the AQA grade boundaries, do you feel more confident on unit 1 or unit 2 ?
Reply 7
yeah, i was just looking on the AQA grade boundaries, do you feel more confident on unit 1 or unit 2 ?

This sounds weird but I'm more confident with unit 2 since i found the content much more interesting.
absolutely hate the studying society module.

The grade boundaries are usually 75/70 for an A*, 65/60 for an A, 55/50 for a B.

What grade are you aiming for?
Reply 8
aha i'm the opposite i actually like unit 1, i find the 12 mark essays much easier and also studying society doesn't have a 12 mark which is cool.

The grade boundaries are higher for unit 1 which is upsetting but i'm hoping for an a on unit 1 and then hopefully a b *fingers crossed* on unit 2.

what about yourself ?
Reply 9
aha i'm the opposite i actually like unit 1, i find the 12 mark essays much easier and also studying society doesn't have a 12 mark which is cool.

The grade boundaries are higher for unit 1 which is upsetting but i'm hoping for an a on unit 1 and then hopefully a b *fingers crossed* on unit 2.

what about yourself ?

Hoping for an A* in both units haha, or atleast an A. Got an A in the mock, however my school raises the grade boundaries to scare the students loool.

Are you prepared for the unit 1 exam on Monday? What do you suspect will be the 12 markers on education and families?
well hopefully you will get those grades, i do believe that i can achieve A/A* in both units when i revise i do really well i got myself an A in the mocks is well but i just feel that unit 2 will be a challenge this year.
Well apparently if everyone does really well on the sociology exam AQA will raise the boundaries *closes eyes* and vice versa.
I believe that the education 12 markers will probably be on the diff type of schools or pupils gender and educational achievement. Families will probably on the roles of women and men, marriage/divorce rates and the different types of families i believe, i hope so anyway.
Reply 11
well hopefully you will get those grades, i do believe that i can achieve A/A* in both units when i revise i do really well i got myself an A in the mocks is well but i just feel that unit 2 will be a challenge this year.
Well apparently if everyone does really well on the sociology exam AQA will raise the boundaries *closes eyes* and vice versa.
I believe that the education 12 markers will probably be on the diff type of schools or pupils gender and educational achievement. Families will probably on the roles of women and men, marriage/divorce rates and the different types of families i believe, i hope so anyway.

I think you can get an A, you're probably just too hard on yourself haha :biggrin:
I hope the 12 markers for education are how ethnicity, social class or gender affects education. Love those questions, and for the families i also hope its how men and womens roles have changed..

How do you structure your 12 mark questions?
Reply 12
So what do you guys think will come up for the 12 markers??
Reply 13
Original post by Guero
So what do you guys think will come up for the 12 markers??

I think for education the 12 marker might be on how social class affects a pupil's educational attainment since it hasn't come up for ages, for families i think it might be on how gender roles in families have changed or maybe if the nuclear family is the norm or not
Best way to do 12 mark questions is by using MRCAGE!
Media
Religion/region
Class
Ethnicity

If you include most of these in your answer then you're laughing. Maybe talk a bit about the views of marxists, functionalists and feminists.
Original post by kxylah
Hoping for an A* in both units haha, or atleast an A. Got an A in the mock, however my school raises the grade boundaries to scare the students loool.

Are you prepared for the unit 1 exam on Monday? What do you suspect will be the 12 markers on education and families?

I really want an A*, I know EVERYTHING I just can't answer the questions because i just dont understand some
Reply 16
Original post by queenleelee
I really want an A*, I know EVERYTHING I just can't answer the questions because i just dont understand some

if you need help on answering any of the questions, PM me and i'll try to help :smile:
Original post by kxylah
I think for education the 12 marker might be on how social class affects a pupil's educational attainment since it hasn't come up for ages, for families i think it might be on how gender roles in families have changed or maybe if the nuclear family is the norm or not

I struggle with families 12 mark questions, I never know what to put.. But it may this year want you to explain the reasons for increase in divorce which is really easy.. Changes in law, rise of feminism, mass media, secularisation

A tip for everyone, I didn't know that the sources they give us to identify, are both linked with the 12 mark questions, and examiners will love to see you use statistical data to explain a certain aspect - so use these sources!!! It'll gain you marks!!!!
Reply 18
My unit 1 GCSEs exams tomorrow and I really need help with the different theories I really want an A, B minimum but I really need some help ASAP anyone...
Thanks that is really useful , make sure you know all the family types and 4 functions and also how to argue from both sides .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending