L'Eternité
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I wish to self-teach the entire Edexcel Mathematics syllabus over the next two years, or possibly one. I would like to gain all three A-Levels in the subject and thus I wanted to ask what would be the best order of modules for me?

I work part-time (25 hours) and can dedicate the rest of the week for studies. Should I do all the Pure units first? Core 1 - Further Pure 3 or should I mix and match?

Would the Edexcel textbooks and websites like ExamSolutions and M4ths.com (UkMathsTeacher) be enough or are there further resources that you would recommend?

Thank you
Advertisement
Nurishment
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'll either do Maths Mechanics, Maths Statistics, Mixed Maths or Further Maths.
The general order of Modules is such that follows.

Maths Mechanics:
AS: C1 -> C2 -> M1
A2: C3 -> C4 -> M2

Maths Statistics:
AS: C1 -> C2 -> S1
A2: C3 -> C4 -> S2

Mixed Maths:
AS: C1 -> C2 -> S1/M1 (You can choose your applied module)
A2: C3 -> C4 -> M1/S1

Further Maths:
Further Maths is essentially mix and match by by the school and/or examination board. There is no general ordering but C1-4 plus 2 Applied Modules is a Maths A-Level. Therefore Further Maths is FP1-3 plus 3 Additional Applied Modules, Resulting in 12 modules in total.

Example Ordering:
AS: C1, C2, S1, M1, D1, FP1
A2: C3, C4, FP2, FP3, S2, S3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nurishment
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For self Teaching, I would Recommend Exam Solutions, Hegarty Maths and the CGP Complete Revision and Practice guide for both AS and A2. Since you are self teaching yourself, it would be best for you to attempt A-Level Maths as opposed to Further Maths. Best of Luck though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by L'Eternité)
x
I think the sensible way to do it would be to study C1-4, then FP1-3, and then the rest of the applied modules in any order you wish, though if you picked M1 first then you may or may not want to work through to M5 before starting S/D, and the same for S and D.

From personal experience it's entirely possible to just get by by studying from the textbook, but I'm sure there are resources online somewhere to help if you get stuck.
L'Eternité
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for your posts guys, I will start with the Core units and see how it goes
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (122)
28.37%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.26%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (127)
29.53%

Watched Threads