puk789
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys!

I am currently 19 (175cm, 73kg), attend gym 3 times a week and have 2 two hour table tennis trainings per week. Moreover, I am planning to start doing HIIT before the first meal (once a week, two times a week, etc.). I have been exercising for several months so far, but haven't been concerned by my nutrition and diet very much. So I've read some articles and made this plan and wanted to ask you guys what you think about it:

BREAKFAST: (immediately after HIIT) carbs & protein (in form of some gruel with yogurt and fruits)
LUNCH: (approx. 4 hours before training) protein & fat (in form of vegetables/salad and meat/curd/eggs, oil/nuts)
DINNER: (1 hour after training, approx. 4 hours before sleep) protein & high-glycemic carbs (up to 30g) & fat (in form of vegetables/salad with meat/eggs and some rolls, nuts)

During days with no training, the plan is the same, however, I skip breakfast (intermittent fasting) and carbohydrate from dinner. Dinner is, of course, bigger, as I skipped breakfast.

I am trying to combine intermittent fasting on non-training days with normal eating on training days as I heard it's much better than doing one only. By the way, I am not able to eat 7 times a day as usually recommended, since I am a student and cannot afford it neither in terms of time nor money.

My goal is to cut as much fat as possible.

Thanks for your opinions & suggestions in advance
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A few things - your diet is very vague - so I can't really comment

However - fasted cardio - if you like it fine, if you don't - you don't have to do it as there's no evidence it is better for fat burning

The glycaemic index isn't relevant to you as you're not a fasting diabetic

You don't have to eat 7 times a day; IF is good as long as you get along with it and don't binge it in your window as I've been prone to doing

Aim to lose 1-2lbs a week which is a 500 calorie-1000 calorie deficit a day
jrfdavies
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
A few things - your diet is very vague - so I can't really comment

However - fasted cardio - if you like it fine, if you don't - you don't have to do it as there's no evidence it is better for fat burning

The glycaemic index isn't relevant to you as you're not a fasting diabetic

You don't have to eat 7 times a day; IF is good as long as you get along with it and don't binge it in your window as I've been prone to doing

Aim to lose 1-2lbs a week which is a 500 calorie-1000 calorie deficit a day
The glycemic index IS relevant. OP should limit their insulin secretion (and thus discourage fat storage) by not eating high GI foods any time of the day other than post-workout.
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jrfdavies)
The glycemic index IS relevant. OP should limit their insulin secretion (and thus discourage fat storage) by not eating high GI foods any time of the day other than post-workout.
So I should eat pizza but not bananas.

Solid. Glyceamic index is a relic of a by gone time in nutrition
jrfdavies
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
So I should eat pizza but not bananas.

Solid. Glyceamic index is a relic of a by gone time in nutrition
Hahah definitely not. You should eat both starchy and fiberous carbs throughout the day so you limit insulin secretion, then have high GI carbs within the anabolic window, when your body is most receptive to nutrients.

Not all carbs were created equal. 5 grams of refined sugar is very different to 5 grams of sweet potato. Each will have a very different effect on your insulin secretion and blood-glucose levels. If you fail to recognize this you're not gonna get optimal results. Dont eat pizza
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jrfdavies)
Hahah definitely not. You should eat both starchy and fiberous carbs throughout the day so you limit insulin secretion, then have high GI carbs within the anabolic window, when your body is most receptive to nutrients.

Not all carbs were created equal. 5 grams of refined sugar is very different to 5 grams of sweet potato. Each will have a very different effect on your insulin secretion and blood-glucose levels. If you fail to recognize this you're not gonna get optimal results. Dont eat pizza
Pizza is low GIndex. Look it up. Protein powder spikes insulin; you saying that I can't have my 2 scoops for breakfast?

I agree, you should eat starchy and fibrous veg, it's the basis of a good diet. However, the anabolic window is an utter myth and not one paper is out there proving it to be 1 hour long etc.
donalexandro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try to eat at least 4-5 times a day.... Calculate your macro's (protein/carbs/fats) and your max kcal intake.... You can use programs or apps to do this! Jumping rope is also great and fun for fatloss!
Abbieoz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Carb cycling

Posted from TSR Mobile
jimbles
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd definitely recommend IF. My feeding window is 12pm-8pm, hit my cut macros in that window (I do IIFYM style of dieting, but that doesn't mean I eat chips etc, I eat what I fancy, whether it be tuna, eggs, steak, chicken, rice, pasta, etc). Fast for the 16 hours. I'd hit a plateau in my cutting and IF definitely has helped jump start, even if only by a couple of lbs a week now.
AisC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just don't do any major dieting or really intense workout regimes straight away.HIIT is effective, but you must put in 100% as it does not work for everyone. My advice is just to keep it simple and change your lifestyle. Aim for between 1500 calories a day, sometimes it is less or more, however it will balance out. Losing fat too quickly is dangerous and is unsustainable, plus muscle can be lost too which is the key to maintaining mass whilst eating good amounts.

Eating: Breakfast -- Protein and fruit/veg. I recommend an omelette of some kind (no cheese or unneeded calories) or a bowl of porridge with fruit.

Lunch -- Protein, good options are always salads, beans, soups with extra protein.

Dinner -- No more than 600 calories, keep it based around the protein with lots of veg. This doesn't mean just salads, but think stews, curries, dishes like stir- fries and fajitas.. Just use low fat yogurt etc... and not too many sauces...

Snacks -- any fruits are good, but veggies with hummus, a pita bread, nuts with fruit are good.

In terms of carbs, make sure you ARE eating them, experiment which time of day is best for you or for the time you are working out. Just don't over do it and use wholemeal, about 2 times a day.

Exercise: Do a mix of cardio and muscle work.Morning before breakfast is the best time, e.g 30 minute circuit, some yoga, cycling. Do it 3-4 times a week , but you can do more as you become more confident.
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jimbles)
I'd definitely recommend IF. My feeding window is 12pm-8pm, hit my cut macros in that window (I do IIFYM style of dieting, but that doesn't mean I eat chips etc, I eat what I fancy, whether it be tuna, eggs, steak, chicken, rice, pasta, etc). Fast for the 16 hours. I'd hit a plateau in my cutting and IF definitely has helped jump start, even if only by a couple of lbs a week now.
The feeding window doesn't really matter much as long as you push that first meal later into the day oh and i still eat **** on some days and still lose fat it's fantastic. I had burger king today and ice cream still in a deficit!

Edit: and the best thing is...i don't track ****
jimbles
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by trapking)
The feeding window doesn't really matter much as long as you push that first meal later into the day oh and i still eat **** on some days and still lose fat it's fantastic. I had burger king today and ice cream still in a deficit!

Edit: and the best thing is...i don't track ****
Feeding window, from what I've researched, is important to keep the same allocated time, so that your growth hormones don't end up going all over the place due to different feeding phases. Haha I know the feel mate, In the last two weeks I've ate dominos, chinese, indian and pub burgers, along with puddings, still lost weight
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (112)
13.83%
I'm not sure (36)
4.44%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (247)
30.49%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (395)
48.77%

Watched Threads