The Student Room Group

What does a University transcript show – am I screwed?

I am considering applying for a couple of MSC degrees next year at LSE (first choice), Imperial, UCL and a couple of others but I am facing a big problem and would appreciate your help.

To cut things short, I did awful in my first year I only received a PASS (47%). It gets better; I repeated my second year too because of my enduring anxiety. The repeat shouldn’t be an issue since I have medical documents to prove it according to the person from LSE I contacted but I am worried about my first year. Will my first year marks be shown on my academic transcript alongside my second and third year results or will it only show my second and final year results since these are the grades used for my overall degree classification?

By the way, I am currently in my third year. I received 76% in my second year and will probably receive the same if not a higher result in my final year.

I would appreciate your help TSR community!
PS. I will take a year out from University and apply in November/December.
On my university transcript, it showed my marks from all the years of my degree, including first year. I *think* this is pretty standard, but others may have different experiences.
Reply 2
Original post by MoneyTeam
I am considering applying for a couple of MSC degrees next year at LSE (first choice), Imperial, UCL and a couple of others but I am facing a big problem and would appreciate your help.

To cut things short, I did awful in my first year I only received a PASS (47%). It gets better; I repeated my second year too because of my enduring anxiety. The repeat shouldn’t be an issue since I have medical documents to prove it according to the person from LSE I contacted but I am worried about my first year. Will my first year marks be shown on my academic transcript alongside my second and third year results or will it only show my second and final year results since these are the grades used for my overall degree classification?

By the way, I am currently in my third year. I received 76% in my second year and will probably receive the same if not a higher result in my final year.

Pretty sure degree transcripts show results for all years, regardless of whether they counted towards the classification or not. Mine has my 1st and 2nd years on it, even though only my 3rd/4th years counted.
Mine showed all years.
Reply 4
It usually shows everything. Use a few sentences in your personal statement to explain what happened. Since it was only first year, you can tell a good story about how you have improved since then, so it shouldnt matter too much.

Mine had all years on it.

But if you had to repeat second year due to anxiety, isn't there some way you can include your first year with that? I don't know your situation or why you did badly, but it's pretty plausible that you were struggling with anxiety in first year, hence doing badly, but didn't seek help until second year when things started counting and it got really bad and you realised you needed help. I'm sure unis would be sympathetic of that. After all, it's hardly uncommon for people to persist with these kind of issues without seeking help.

And your high marks, particularly in final year, will show that you clearly do have the academic ability.
Reply 6
Original post by poohat
It usually shows everything. Use a few sentences in your personal statement to explain what happened. Since it was only first year, you can tell a good story about how you have improved since then, so it shouldnt matter too much.

This.

Also a transcript will show everything, including courses you dropped out of as well as what you failed and repeated. But as poohat said, explain. Unis actually seem quite partial to people who improve as they go along. It's better to show that than show a better overall average but with your best marks in first year...
turn a negative into a positive. say in your personal statement that your determination to succeed to proven by how your grades have increased significantly from year 1 to now. your transcript will show all your grades and marks so rather than ignoring it in the application, use it to your advantage.

good luck.

Hi MoneyTeam, I’ve just stumbled across your post and thought I’d contribute to the thread of comments.

An Academic Transcript in most cases will list all the modules or subjects you studied in each year, the marks or grades you achieved for each module and the level of each module. It should be stamped or signed by the institution and be on original letter-headed paper. Please note this is just a general outline of what an Academic Transcript is and for a more accurate answer you’d be better speaking with your institution’s Student Registry Office.

To be honest, I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about your first year PASS %. As mentioned by others, when you put together your Personal Statement just add a couple of sentences addressing the issue in a positive way.

You may also you may find it useful contacting the University you’re interested in applying to for further guidance and advice.

I hope you find this information helpful and I hope you enjoy your gap year. Best of luck going forward!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending