Is There A Bullying Culture in Medicine/the NHS?

Watch
Lisagurlxx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Apparently there's one in America and also in a lot of UK hospitals - is this something a uni student might face? (asking for a prospective applicant)
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No of course not. Now give me your lunch money.

Spoiler:
Show
It's not something I've personally seen or experienced. But that's not to say it doesn't occur. I've been on the receiving end of harsh words and abrupt personalities, but I've never had a systematic campaign against me. Nor have I heard of it happening with any of my colleagues.

I have heard of toxic work relationships whereby people are indirectly/implicitly intimidated against seeking senior support, or for rocking the boat regarding working conditions etc. This is often a means of maintaining the status quo, rather than an attempt to individually pick on people.
username1060297
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lisagurlxx)
Apparently there's one in America and also in a lot of UK hospitals - is this something a uni student might face? (asking for a prospective applicant)
Yes. As with any organisation, especially one so big and under scrutiny from all sorts of people it's only natural that the workers/members including medical students will experience bullying of some sort. I remember reading a book about a doctors' time in his/her foundation years and it pretty much discussed stuff like hospital politics, bureaucracy and the egoism of superiors - of which surgeons are apparently renowned for.
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it depends entirely on your workplace. I volunteer with the NHS (at an intermediate care centre) and everyone's lovely and supportive of each other. I'm going to be studying occupational therapy at uni and have found so far that in general OTs and OT students are very friendly and happy to help each other.

On the other hand you have to look at hospitals like West Staffs and see that there is a problem in some NHS workplaces, and the whistleblower with that situation really did get hounded out of the area from what I've read.

I'd say the key thing to remember is that we're all responsible for how we treat other people, and also for reporting when we are mistreated. You've got to have accountability in the workplace, especially in one with such high stakes as the NHS.
CTe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep, as a nursing/medical student you are the bottom of the pile. Whilst most staff members are perfectly lovely- theres always a few more interesting staff members. For example I recently witnessed the following exchange:

Doctor: Describe to me the course and distribution of the vestibulocochlear nerve
Student: I don't know
Doctor: Stand in the bin
(Student stands in bin)
Doctor: Why are you standing in the bin?
Student: Because you told me too?...
Doctor: No, its because your rubbish and thats where rubbish goes

Unsurprisingly the doctor was an 'old school' surgeon, with something of a reputation.
Etomidate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CTe)
Yep, as a nursing/medical student you are the bottom of the pile. Whilst most staff members are perfectly lovely- theres always a few more interesting staff members. For example I recently witnessed the following exchange:

Doctor: Describe to me the course and distribution of the vestibulocochlear nerve
(Student stands in bin)
Featured in this post: Things that never happened.
CTe
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Etomidate)
Featured in this post: Things that never happened.
I'm sorry, how do you know that?
superwolf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CTe)
Bin monitor?
Etomidate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CTe)
Because no student in their right mind would get inside a bin. Don't be ridiculous.
CTe
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because no student in their right mind would get inside a bin. Don't be ridiculous.
Nope, I don't think she was in her right mind. When I asked her she wasn't exactly sure why she did it. Though this was a resit and she thought she was going to fail the module. Said consultant has a bit of a reputation for messing with people like getting juniors to stand on one leg during rounds amongst other things. Unfortunately this sort of thing isn't unheard of and standing up for ourselves is something beaten out of us very early on in clinical years on threat of death (fitness to practice).
Etomidate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CTe)
Unfortunately this sort of thing isn't unheard of and standing up for ourselves is something beaten out of us very early on in clinical years on threat of death (fitness to practice).
Complete nonsense. I would strongly advise growing a pair.
CTe
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Complete nonsense. I would strongly advise growing a pair.
I have seen 'did not appreciate criticism' as a justification on more then one occasion for failing someone on grounds of professionalism. This happens to the graduate students more as they tend to stand up for themselves more. As I have said situations like this are not common, but unfortunately do happen. Perhaps at your medical school things are different.
Etomidate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CTe)
I have seen 'did not appreciate criticism' as a justification on more then one occasion for failing someone on grounds of professionalism.
For what exam or assessment, specifically?

What medical school is it that you attend which encourages their students to pander to such nonsense?
CTe
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For what exam, specifically?

What medical school is it that you attend which encourages their students to pander to such nonsense?
It's not an exam per se. At the end of every rotation we had an identical professionalism page on the final sign off. One of the criteria was: "[was there evidence that] the student did not respond positively to feedback". Other criteria include "demonstrating respect for staff members" "demonstrating appropriate conduct" etc.

It is rare, but if a staff member takes a dislike to a student and ticks the wrong box, then its an instant fail- with disqualification from sitting the exam, that can't be appealed. This is the same for all of the modules in the clinical phases. This means that the module has to be redone during what is supposed to be the elective. I was a peer supporter for the medical school and saw this maybe three times a year. It can happen in any module but geriatrics seemed to be a particular problem for some reason.
Lisagurlxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by CTe)

(Student stands in bin)
lol wtf. I guess its hard to prove stuff like that happened but I'd be inclined to knock someone out if they said that to me, as I imagine a lot of students on other courses would.

Does the NHS not deal with stuff like this well?
Lisagurlxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ki Yung Na)
Yes. As with any organisation, especially one so big and under scrutiny from all sorts of people it's only natural that the workers/members including medical students will experience bullying of some sort. I remember reading a book about a doctors' time in his/her foundation years and it pretty much discussed stuff like hospital politics, bureaucracy and the egoism of superiors - of which surgeons are apparently renowned for.
interesting , it seems to be more prevalent in the NHS though. obviously everywhere from IBs to law firms has bullies, but bullying cases seem to be dealt with better there. the NHS especially seems to hush a lot of stuff up and come down on whistleblowers
KittyAnneR
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, but I think you will experience bullying at some level or other in all types of work. Whether it's from the public, the big bosses, your supervisors or nasty colleagues.
Lisagurlxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by KittyAnneR)
Yes, but I think you will experience bullying at some level or other in all types of work. Whether it's from the public, the big bosses, your supervisors or nasty colleagues.
True, my cousin's worried about dealing with it at uni tho (heard some horror stories). I did English but I never had to deal with bullying from those who taught me - have heard it's common in medicine.
KittyAnneR
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lisagurlxx)
True, my cousin's worried about dealing with it at uni tho (heard some horror stories). I did English but I never had to deal with bullying from those who taught me - have heard it's common in medicine.
I'm talking about in the span of your career, not at uni. There will be more bullying in courses like med/nursing as you're placed in real working environments wih people, a lot of whom aren't fans of students haha.
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Worth a read if you're interested - recent document from the GMC about the supportive learning environment and bullying in medical education of postgraduates: http://www.gmc-uk.org/Under_embargo_...f_59988406.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads