Is there a point getting a "high" first class degree? Watch

DH.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I go to a good university in the UK and study mathematics. In my first year, I worked hard and maintained an average of 90%+. I'm now in my second year and I'm in exam session; I'm wondering is there really a point of getting above 70% seeing as you come out with the same grade as someone who got 90%? Would that extra study time be better used on developing over skills such as programming or perhaps even a part time job?
chazwomaq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why are you at university if you don't want to be good as you can be at the subject you have paid to learn?
Adil J
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
lmao a first class is a first class but i'm guessing you'd get preference over someone with 70% if you had 90%... considering all the other factors are similar...but i doubt it really comes to that unless your going for big companies lol
Adil J
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chazwomaq)
Why are you at university if you don't want to be good as you can be at the subject you have paid to learn?
hahah loool
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
a gold medal athlete does not say "**** it i am going to win this stupid race so why should i be arsed to try and beat my personal best ?"...
snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DH.)
I go to a good university in the UK and study mathematics. In my first year, I worked hard and maintained an average of 90%+. I'm now in my second year and I'm in exam session; I'm wondering is there really a point of getting above 70% seeing as you come out with the same grade as someone who got 90%? Would that extra study time be better used on developing over skills such as programming or perhaps even a part time job?
Let's put it this way: nowhere on your CV will you be putting what % you got on your exams (at least not that I have seen). As such there's not that much difference between a 70% and a 90%.

If getting a first is so easy for you, I'd say just get enough to get it over the line and use the time you save to build up skills in other areas.
AuC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's something you should be asking your lecturers and not us, so why are you wasting your time?

In some modules there are rewards for high achievers. When I was at university the university had a deal with an employer to get the highest achiever in the Tax exam a definite role at their company. Ask and see what they say. If they do not offer rewards you can leave it at 70% as nobody will ever enquire about your grades and it will not be stated anywhere whatsoever.
DH.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by AuC)
That's something you should be asking your lecturers and not us, so why are you wasting your time?

In some modules there are rewards for high achievers. When I was at university the university had a deal with an employer to get the highest achiever in the Tax exam a definite role at their company. Ask and see what they say. If they do not offer rewards you can leave it at 70% as nobody will ever enquire about your grades and it will not be stated anywhere whatsoever.
It doesn't really work like that in mathematics... the top student in mathematics have opportunities to go study more mathematics, something I'm not interested in.
AuC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've also seen money as a reward so I still don't understand why you would not approach your lecturers. Do they kick you out the second you greet them or are you just one of those shy students that are too scared to open their mouths? For all you know they're giving away an iPad or a cash.
Sammorris0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm currently in my third year at uni and I've also been advised that there is no need to get a high first class degree. As far as I understand, most companies just see that you have achieved a first class degree and that's as far as it goes.

Hope this helps!
M1011
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can put your overall percentage on your CV, and most job applications ask for the percentage. So while getting the first is the main thing, 90% certainly looks better than 70%.
henrywhite12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why stop trying your best after paying the money to go to Uni?
Don John
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're talking about getting a first as if it's easy. 90% in first year is great but the difficulty increases very quickly and the exams are incredibly tough. I only barely got through final year exams and that was with a lot of work.

To answer your question, you should always want to do your best. But employers aren't going to see your degree %. In fact after your first or second job employers look more at your career experience than your degree classification.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (284)
15.2%
The paper was reasonable (1037)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (404)
21.63%
It was TERRIBLE (143)
7.66%

Watched Threads